Panny g7 display lag

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Taurahe, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon
    So being new to micro 4/3 I am probably just unaware... In low light my g7 display, either rear screen or EVF, lags, making handhold in impossible. Even when using a fast, it does this. It does not seem to be prevalent when using Panasonic lenses, but all I have are the 14-42 and the 25 1.7. It mainly happens when using lenses on an adapter... The longer the lens the worse the lag.

It makes me wonder if it would make studio work difficult.....

So is this normal?

2. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    It's not really "lag", it is showing you the shutter speed effect, you are seeing close to the actual blurring effect you will get in the picture at the shutter speed you or the camera have selected. You are seeing it in low light because you are winding up with slow shutter speeds. The "cure" is to get your shutter speed up to 1/30th of a second or faster if possible. My main focus is on video/motion picture and this effect is not displayed in that mode.

I just checked with my G7 and "kit" 14-42mm lens and 1/30th gave me a fairly steady unblurred evf image in dimmer areas of several rooms in my home.

This seems to be common with all EVF and "live view" image finders. I've seen it with my GH4, GX7, and previously owned OMD E-M5, GH2s, GH3s, and GX1.

I use Manual exposure mode most of the time and can readily see how this will affect my image. If handheld, ways to tame it are to brace up against a tree, wall, door jamb, etc. Hold the camera as still as you can.

Longer lenses will appear to magnify the effect.

I wouldn't think so since most continuous lighting you should use would get the light levels up to where you would use 1/30th to 1/60th second shutter speed. If using studio strobe most "real" studio units will have enough modeling light output that would give you enough light for you to use around 1/60th second shutter speed.

Yes, nothing is wrong with your camera. Have fun with it, it is one of the best performers for the price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    Turn off the "constant preview" in the custom settings menu. See if that works for you.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The display gains up in low light, so you can see what you are actually shooting. It should not affect your image at all if you have the proper exposure. Of course, if it is that dark you might not want to shoot hand held anyway, due to slow shutter speeds.