Panny G3: Small, easy to use bounce flash recommendation?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by markus, Jan 8, 2012.

1. markus

markus Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011
    OK...many thx to the forum for putting up with my goofy questions....

I previously posted asking if my Nikon SB-400 would work with my new Panasonic G3, which apparently it won't.

So the question then becomes: what is the equivalent? What I like about the SB-400 for my Nikon D200:
    - Very small/portable
    - Bounce capabilities
    - Reasonably priced

I looked at the Panasonic options right away, in addition to being expensive they look fairly massive. I want something portable and easy to use, wouldn't mind it being $100-$125 either...

- Mark
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    i'm up to now also scouting for one. the FL-36R seems to be the top choice.
  3. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Nissin Di466. Works in optical slave mode too (the G3 doesn't do wireless flash). It also uses 4 AA batteries and thus recycles faster than the FL36R. The only drawback is it doesn't swivel for portrait shots. I got mine for 75GBpounds.
  4. markus

markus Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011
    Markb -

Do you happen to have a picture of the Nissan flash on an m4/3 camera? Just trying to get an idea of size...?

- Markus
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Oly FL36 (used) or FL36R (new). The R means radio slave triggering, which the Panasonic doesn't support anyway. It's the same flash as the Pan FL360, but cheaper. It's pretty compact, too, using only 2 AA batteries. It tilts and swivels to allow bounce flash in portrait mode. I'm not sure the Nissin does that (but I'm not sure, so maybe it does.)
    • Like Like x 1