1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panny G3: Small, easy to use bounce flash recommendation?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by markus, Jan 8, 2012.

1. markus

markus Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011
    OK...many thx to the forum for putting up with my goofy questions....

I previously posted asking if my Nikon SB-400 would work with my new Panasonic G3, which apparently it won't.

So the question then becomes: what is the equivalent? What I like about the SB-400 for my Nikon D200:
    - Very small/portable
    - Bounce capabilities
    - Reasonably priced

I looked at the Panasonic options right away, in addition to being expensive they look fairly massive. I want something portable and easy to use, wouldn't mind it being $100-$125 either...

Thanks!
    - Mark

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    i'm up to now also scouting for one. the FL-36R seems to be the top choice.

3. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Nissin Di466. Works in optical slave mode too (the G3 doesn't do wireless flash). It also uses 4 AA batteries and thus recycles faster than the FL36R. The only drawback is it doesn't swivel for portrait shots. I got mine for 75GBpounds.

4. markus

markus Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011
    Markb -

Do you happen to have a picture of the Nissan flash on an m4/3 camera? Just trying to get an idea of size...?

Thanks,
    - Markus

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Oly FL36 (used) or FL36R (new). The R means radio slave triggering, which the Panasonic doesn't support anyway. It's the same flash as the Pan FL360, but cheaper. It's pretty compact, too, using only 2 AA batteries. It tilts and swivels to allow bounce flash in portrait mode. I'm not sure the Nissin does that (but I'm not sure, so maybe it does.)

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.