1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny G3 Lens Options

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gherkin12, Apr 26, 2015.

1. gherkin12

gherkin12 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 11, 2013
    Good afternoon guys

wondering if you could help/point me in the right direction. I've had a G3 for a number of years now with the standard kit lens - 14-42mm. So far its done its job well however I'd like to upgarde to a new lens but not entirely sure what to go for.

Photos I normally take are generally architecture, landscape, now that I have a 7 month old I'd be taking some more of her, and as bizarre as it may seem Military vehicles.

I appreciate that there isn't one lens that does all the jobs so i'm open to suggestions of multiple lenses.

TIA

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    What do you find limiting with the 14-42? Too short, not wide enough, bad in low light, image quality, background blur, macro capability, big size, etc.?
    What is the budget? Are used lenses an option?

Some common upgrades/additions are:

45-150 (good tele, good price)
    primes: 12, 17, 25, 45, 60, 75, ecc. (different purposes, different prices)
    12-35 or 12-40 (for IQ, extra light, pricey)
    14-140 (a good performance super zoom)
    DMW-GWC1: wide converter for your current lens, makes it a 11mm, cheap

and there are other options too: macro, 35-100/2.8, super-tele, fisheye, UWA, etc.

The three Sigma primes are a good quality budget option, the shortest ones are not the fastest option around, if that matters.

The lens that are probably giving you the biggest "wow effect" are the primes, especially the long ones like the 42.5/1.7, the 45/1.8, 60/2.8, 75/1.8. The first ones are good for indoor too, for children for example, the others for distant subjects. The wide converter could be an option for landscape and architecture.

3. gherkin12

gherkin12 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 11, 2013
    Hi Klorenzo

Used are an option, and I don't really have a budget at the moment. I do find the kit lens abit poor in bad light and its macro capability isn't great. I will have a look at the suggestions aboce, thanks very much :)