Panny G10

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mikey, Jun 6, 2011.

1. mikey

mikey Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 6, 2011
    I don't see any posts regarding the Panasonic G10... Does no one like/use this?
    And i was told about the "intelligent auto" mode that it has. Is it all that intelligent?

Thx
    Mikey

2. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    If you're interested in a G10, you may as well buy a G2. The G1o is a more stripped down version of the G2 and the G2 price is getting pretty low these days.

The IA mode does a very nice job and getting the photo right. It's not for everyone, but if you want to not think about the photo too much, IA works well. I actually use IA mode on my GH2 most often....but I do leave the file type set to raw so I can tweak the image as much as possible in Lightroom. If I want a lot more control I just switch over to full manual or aperture or shutter priority mode.

3. I think the G10 had a fairly short model life so is not very well represented here compared to other m4/3 models.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I owned the G10 and it was a wonderful camera....it wasn't a big seller and I don't see people talk about it much. I sold it because I wanted one with a swivel screen. The pictures that I took with it are indistinguishable from ones I've taken with my G1.

5. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    I'm a G10 owner. Picked one up in January for $350, including the kit lens, from Costco's Web site. At that price, I'd buy it again. Viewfinder resolution stinks, and, yes, the external display doesn't swivel. Other than that, it differs little from the G2. I have zero regrets about my purchase.

I also got a the 20mm/1.7 prime lens at pre-earthquake prices. It's a great combination for portability an SLR can't match and low-light shooting a compact can't match.

I have an old Nikon 8008 that has been gathering dust for a decade. Had mostly been using a little Canon point & shoot that takes lovely snapshots when there's plenty of light (and still has the virtue of fitting in a back pocket). I thought I'd buy a Nikon DSLR one day, but I could never justify the expenditure to myself. As time went on, all the extra bulk of an SLR just didn't make sense to me given my needs.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my G10, and have taken more pictures in the last five months than I had in the previous five years. I'm a newbie on this site, but at some point soon, I'll upload some photos.

I haven't really made use of Intelligent Auto, but it's already pretty darned intelligent in the aperture- and shutter-priority modes I usually use (making smart decisions about focusing, ISO, whitebalance, etc.). I would guess Intelligent Auto works great for someone moving up from a point & shoot.

6. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    Here are a couple of photos taken by my G10.

This was taken with the kit lens:
    P10004791.JPG

This was taken with the 20mm prime: P1000803.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mikey

mikey Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 6, 2011
    bday.

sunset.

This is all great.... cause i just bought the G10 and was wondering why I hadnt seen any write ups here...lol...

anywho, Im loving the camera and getting into the photography thing... im VERY new.

above are pics that i took with the cam and minor adjustments in photoshop... still figuring things out though

cheers

• Like Like x 4
  8. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    That sunset picture is a knockout. Have fun. You're gonna love the G10.

9. mikey

mikey Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 6, 2011
    Thx... It's my practice shot for my Aruba wedding.