Panny G1 questions.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RobertS, Jan 14, 2012.

1. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Am picking up a free (well, via a trade) Panasonic G1 that seems like new except for one thing. The pop-up flash does not work. I can probably overlook that; as I seldom, almost never, use a flash anyway.
    My question to you is, knowing that this is Panasonic's very first m4/3rds camera, and having visited Cameralabs.com review site, the camera still sounds VERY capable. I'd like to know how you folks feel about it. Is it really an antique as compared to the newer models? The newer models almost always include a few improved bells and whistles over past models.
    I'm only interested in decent IQ and not interested in taking video. So, based on what little I've given you here, what can I expect from the G1, and what will I be disappointed in? Thanks for the comments and opinions.

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I still have mine and still use it. Not sure how to answer "what can I expect?" question.

As you have already looked at Cameralabs, IQ is fine. As with most electronics time has improved on the design; AF, IQ, handling of higher ISO noise most notably. There's enough data in the sensor to make decent sized prints. EVF is on par with even later models. The biggest potential for disappointment is probably Contrast AF of these early mirror less cameras. They are slower and have difficulties tracking moving objects (children at play in my case). Broken flash shouldn't be a problem as the output, like most onboard flashes, is pretty lacking. If you need flash, there's always the option of using a hotshoe mounted flash which is compatible with the ol'standard X-sync.

I don't see anyone can be disappointed in a free G1.

Oh.. if you haven't discovered it yet, the G1 doesn't do video.

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I had the G1, which I later gifted to my niece. It's still a fine camera. As has been mentioned, the contrast auto-focus is slower than what you'll find with the latest micro four-thirds cameras - but still quite acceptable as long as you're not shooting sports on a professional basis.

High ISO performance isn't quite as good as the latest micro four-thirds cameras as well - but many people have wildly overstated this issue. Many people will swear that ISO 800 is the absolute limit. I suspect these people have never shot film and the presence of any noise at all sends them into convulsions. The truth is, ISO 1250 is probably the max in ideal terms. But don't be afraid to reach for 1600 if it means getting the shot or not.

The built-in flash is just that and I essentially only used it for fill purposes or occasional snap-shot level images. Panasonic offers external flashes and there are third-party options as well. Here's the smallest/cheapest:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Dig...UTF8&coliid=I7S69HEU8TFN4&colid=1S8NK6QVR7HHA

The G1 should serve you well - and you can't beat the price!

4. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Bottom line. The G1 is still a good camera. Unless you have the need to spend more money (like many of us here), the G1 should satisfy your needs for a camera with decent IQ.

5. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I still have two G1s and shoot with them exclusively. The EVF is great, and the cameras have never let me down.

6. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

The DMC-G1 is the only Digital camera I have. I use it almost daily. It is a very Capable camera. I love it.

7. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Hi Robert,
    I own a G1 and a GF1 and three Panasonic lenses. I use the two zooms with the G1 as I like the eye level viewfinder especially with the 45-200 tele zoom. I tend to use the 20mm with the GF1 for low light shots. As the G1 are now quite cheap I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. They are pleasant to use and so light weight. you won't be sorry.
    Cheers
    DUD

8. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I have a G1 and have used it pretty extensively. I love mine. Do let us know if you have specific questions and most of the G1 owners should be able to answer them.

9. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    image output is on par with the gf1, i upgraded from a g1 to the gf1, and the biggest thing i miss about the g1 is the eye sensor for the evf. and the grip for steadier shots.

10. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    In line with my thoughts as well. I have been trying to give GF-1 as much time, even bought the LVF-1 but the G1 feels just right in my hands.

11. Highgrovemanor

Highgrovemanor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2011
    G1 is nice. What lens comes with it, if any? If its the older 14-45, thats actually quite a nice kit lens. I got my G1 / 14-45 close to the end for a good price, and continue to enjoy it to this day. Actually picked up a used GF1 as a backup to keep it all in the family. :)

The other thing not yet mentioned is Panasonic's reputation for less than great out of camera JPEG. There are some recipes on taming it through custom settings, but shooting raw seems to be the right approach. I always need to remove red-eye from snapshots or level the horizon on my landscapes, so I gotta do some digital touch up anyway.

Enjoy your new-to-you camera!