Panny FF rumors coming into focus

Telonson

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just because they are using a DSLR, doesn't mean they "care" about video.
Suggesting that a videographer doesn't "actually care about video" because they're not using external screen smacks of elitist gate keeping. Sometimes those screens are helpful, sometimes they're a real detriment, both to portability and to the working environment.

A infinitely better marker of video professionalism is lighting, or the lack thereof. Even that is highly dependent on the setting, and is often unnecessary.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Suggesting that a videographer doesn't "actually care about video" because they're not using external screen smacks of elitist gate keeping. Sometimes those screens are helpful, sometimes they're a real detriment, both to portability and to the working environment.

When you can buy a good monitor that costs in the same ballpark as the sd card your camera is writing to, people have no excuse to not have one in their arsenal, specially if they are trying to call themselves a professional. Not to mention the most popular ones are the size of a smartphone. And yes the same can be said for lighting.

The same can also be said for audio. I laugh my butt off every time I read some wannabees complaints because their camera mounted shotgun mic that's 20 feet from their subject doesn't sound as good as the think it should.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
There is a new synopsis out from one of the online photomags. Telling us what we know about the 2 new models. S1 possibly not weatherproofed?

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
As Nikon and Sony have shown in the Z7 and A7R III, the higher megapixel sensors suffer when shooting full frame video, because they can't process all of the data to read off of the full sensor so they end up skipping lines, bining pixels, etc. This results in worse video quality when using the full frame FoV compared to the lower megapixel sensors like those found in the Z6 and A7 III.

We won't know for certain until the S1/R makes its way in to the hands of reviewers, but part of the appeal of the ~$2K cameras that shoot excellent video (GH5, A7 III, Z6) is their price point. At over $4k, an S1R significantly loses that value proposition for those interested in video applications.

Based on the high megapixel cameras out on the market today, my guess is that the S1R will have worse video performance than the S1. If the S1R does come in at over $4k, it will have to offer some serious advantages over the $3,400 Z7 and $3,200 (currently $2,800 on sale) A7R III.

The elephant in the room is the A7S III. For video-centric users, how will it fare against the Z6 and S1, and where will it sit price-wise against those two cameras?

It sounds like (given the DPReview interview) that Panasonic is really in this for professional video...

I agree with Ian that the current elephant in the room is the A7S III. I suspect that these are going to ultimately be Panasonic 8K entries in future iterations; it will be interesting to see if they can pull it off with internal recording.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
There is a new synopsis out from one of the online photomags. Telling us what we know about the 2 new models. S1 possibly not weatherproofed?
That would be extremely surprising. Almost to the point of impossibility.

All of Panasonic's bodies over $1000 are weather sealed.

And it would cost more to design two separate body styles than to just seal both of them and share identical tooling.

Got a link?

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Reading the actual article, there's actually less information in it than has been widely distributed already, and even a few factual errors or out-of-date points. They talk about a 25-105mm with an unconfirmed aperture. It's a 24-105mm, with a confirmed f/4 aperture, for instance.

They're just trying to get a few clicks by trying to summarize half an hour of research, mostly from the l-rumors site. There are no primary sources, and no new information at all, not even anything to be gleaned from conversations with execs (who are always properly tight-lipped) or salespeople (who are frequently incorrect on technical points, anyway).

I wouldn't worry even the slightest bit about any point made on the basis of that site.

Telonson

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's really difficult to see who is going to buy an expensive, large full frame camera with a limited range of lenses when there are better options elsewhere.

The release of Panasonic's L-Mount bodies could be accompanied by as many as 25 native lenses. 8 times more than either Nikon or Canon's new mirrorless formats. Even if there are only 10 lenses at release, that's still far more than either Canon or Nikon''s full frame mirrorless.

Sigma has said that they'll be releasing L-Mount versions of perhaps as many as 20 of their existing lenses. There are the handful of Leica lenses, and the few that Panasonic themselves have announced. Tamron has also indicated real interest in developing L-mount lenses. Suspect that Tokina isn't far behind.

It's should be quite straightforward for Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron to create L-Mount versions of their existing full frame mirrorless lenses. That after all, is what they've done for years. Design a single optical formula, then use it across a wide variety of camera makes.

And unlike third party Nikon and Canon lenses which need reverse engineered autofocus and controls, members of the L-Mount alliance would have full documentation and code to natively integrate these lenses into the L-Mount ecosystem.

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
Isn't the S1 just an updated, re-branded Leica SL? :hmmm:

These bodies look quite a bit larger than Sony's and Nikon's.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
If you actually care about video, you don't use the flippy screen as its to small for critical work, you use an external hdmi monitor.

That's painting with a mighty broad brush. I was in Montana this summer with a filmmaker who shot with a drone and a Sony A7 mounted on a gimbal. He did not use an HDMI monitor.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Isn't the S1 just an updated, re-branded Leica SL? :hmmm:
I mean...

Isn't any new camera from any manufacturer just an updated, re-branded version of the previous camera they sold?

Compared to the SL, the S1 is a less expensive camera with new sensors, totally different ergonomics, a tilting touchscreen, vastly more powerful video features, 5-axis IBIS, and a lot more processing power.

They do share the same mount, a very high-quality EVF (Panasonic has been suggesting that theirs is higher resolution than anything from Sony, Canon, or Nikon, which suggests it is the same as the SL), and a robust-weather sealed build. But that's really about it.

MadMarco

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The release of Panasonic's L-Mount bodies could be accompanied by as many as 25 native lenses. 8 times more than either Nikon or Canon's new mirrorless formats. Even if there are only 10 lenses at release, that's still far more than either Canon or Nikon''s full frame mirrorless.
The important word here being could, I stick with what I said. Why would you buy a body from a new system unless it has some killer USP? Sony already has way more lenses available right now and importantly you know how much they cost and know the quality.

Outside of the existing L-mount lenses of which I counted 8; none one which cost less than £1000 you have no idea what is going to be released, the quality or the cost. This is shaping up to be the most expensive system available, so it's going to have to be amazing or it's DOA.

Don't get me wrong; I want it to be amazing, but it's way easier to over-promise and under-deliver than to do it the other way round.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was in Montana this summer with a filmmaker who shot with a drone and a Sony A7 mounted on a gimbal. He did not use an HDMI monitor.

He wasn't monitoring what the drone was shooting in any way? not even the video stream to his phone/tablet?

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
This is shaping up to be the most expensive system available, so it's going to have to be amazing or it's DOA.
Leica M?

Fuji GFX?

Hasselblad H and XCD?

(I understand the latter three are baby medium-format, not 135, but if the available lenses and the sensors don't demonstrate a usable difference in image quality, does that matter?)

I don't really understand people complaining about the rumoured price of the S1R in one breath, while lauding the remarkably lacklustre GFX50R in the next. Not saying you're specifically doing that, but it's a common refrain.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Why would you buy a body from a new system unless it has some killer USP? Sony already has way more lenses available right now and importantly you know how much they cost and know the quality.

Because its Sony, enough said!

Latest threads

Top Bottom