1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panny FF rumors coming into focus

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by WT21, Sep 11, 2018.

1. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    This makes much more sense to me, in terms of the state of the development
    (FT5) The new Panasonic FF has way more than the "rumored" 30 megapixels! - 43 Rumors

From the m43rumors site:
    To sum up this what we know so far (FT5):
    • Panasonic will announce a new Full Frame Mirrorless system camera on September 25
    • Panasonic will only show a prototype with non finalized specs
    • The new camera will go on market by March 2019
    • Panasonic has designed this new sensor
    • The camera will have way more than 30 Megapixels
    • The camera has excellent video quality

Don't get me wrong -- I am not pining for FF to ditch m43. I love everything about m43, but currently I rent Sony FF for certain outings. I would MUCH prefer to have a Panny option. I also really, really hope that a Panny FF keeps Panny overall in the photography business, and that they see a two-prong approach -- FF and m43, which to me is brilliant. Heck, if Oly joins Panny in a FF development, so much the better.

Look at it another way -- if (and I only mean "if" not when) FF takes over for what camera manufactures make, and all other smaller sensors stop production, do you want to be forced into the arms of Canon and Sony and Nikon? I'd much prefer to have a Panny.

So, sorry that this is an m43 board and I keep posting about FF, but it's mainly because I really like what Panny is doing, and I think this will strengthen their hand overall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    What will the new mount be called?

Macro Four Thirds?
    Eight Sixths?

I’m looking forward to hearing more for all the same reasons you are.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I don't see the huge deal with brand loyalty. I'd switch to canon, sony, nikon or even DJI if it has what I am looking for.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It’s not brand loyalty for me. It’s about menus, lens and system design, ergonomics and what they prioritize in design. It’s a bit of guess work though, because I’m assuming or hoping their m43 approach carries to the new system, which isn’t guaranteed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I’ve also grown fond of the 43 aspect ratio. Wonder if they carry that over, given its their own sensor design

6. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    jason
    to me, "way more than 30 meg" suggests that they'll definitely go hard at making a usable crop mode for m43 lenses. The flange distance on the mount is going to be interesting, as will the resultant lenses for the bigger sensor. A panasonic designed sensor for specific on-sensor microlens layout due to a very short flange distance?

For those who understand the mathematics of these things, is there an advantage to a 4/3 ratio FF sensor when considering the potential crop to MFT?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    It's even a possibility that the camera could be multi format. So stick a m43 lens on it via the mount adapter, and it's a m43 camera. I can't see how using the m43 lenses any other way would produce a comparable field of view or lens distortion correction. Those two go hand in hand.
    The other thing is that the only sensor of interest that Panasonic has been working on is a global shutter. 8K would need it if you want to get a fast enough frame rate for the increased pixel count per frame.
    If this thing is indeed FF then Nikon and Canon are going to get worried about the casual and semi-pro buyers.

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    This thing does not go on sale to March of 2019! This sounds more like a proof of concept marketing leak more than a prototype, wake me up again after the Super Bowl.

I am feeling no GAS for the Panny FF. I am, however, very interested to hear more about the m4/3 mystery OMD. The Sony a7iii is my only FF gas, it is hard to beat the current m4/3 glass and bodies.

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    8K UHD is 7680px wide. So if Panasonic want the camera to do 8K UHD, the sensor must have AT LEAST 7680px along its width. If the sensor is to be 3:2, it would be 39.3 MP (7680 x 5120). If the sensor is to be 4:3, it would be 44.2 MP (7680 x 5760).

Assuming a 7680px wide sensor, the rumored m43 adapter & crop would leave you with 10.4 MP (3732 x 2799) of resolution (7680px along a 35.6mm wide sensor gives you a pixel density of ~216 px/mm, which when scaled to a m43 sensor of 17.6mm x 13mm gives you the aforementioned resolution).

I just don't see the reason why somebody would buy this and want to use their m43 lenses on it (unless it's 8K over-sampled down to 4K, kinda of like how Sony does 6K down to 4K in their APS-C cameras). The camera will be expensive, and will be inferior to native m43 camera for still photography because of the drastically lower resolution. It could be good for m43 video, but at that point just buy a GH5 or GH5s (that is unless Panasonic finally implement PDAF for improved video AF).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    jason
    March 2019 is not that far away, and is actually more or less tomorrow in terms of camera-development lead times. You wont go from vague concept to production in that time frame!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    It did take some time before the GH5 left the Photokina display and hit the shops. The G80 and G9 ditto. So expect the usual pre-order book to be opened, with early buyers to get a free battery grip and a massive discount on the 24-86mm f4.5 - 6.3 kit lens.

12. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I was wondering if March 2019 is realistic. IIRC, early on Panny never hit any of their proclaimed shipment dates. I remember hearing lens announcements, and then waiting way past the date before availability, though they have gotten better the last few years.

13. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    By making this announcement, Panasonic may prevent desertion to Canon and Nikon mirrorless.
    However, the "video" offerings on the new mirrorless Nikon & Canon cameras leave a lot to be desired (ie: amateur).

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I don't think that this camera is designed to compete with Nikon and Canon, it strikes me as being video-centric and targeted to indie filmmakers and small video houses.

15. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    I'm sure they will have a tape on the card slot door because it has only one card slot inside. The R&D engineers have been told to fix this 'issue' before March announcement. When asked on Sept 25th, they will say 'that's the spec we are still working on it.'

16. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    I would bet it will offer 8k video options as well as 8k photo features (roughly 7500px by 5000).

17. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL

go back and look when the gh5 was announced and when it was actually available for sale!

18. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    The entire "video Centric" thing is getting really old.

all the manufacturers are shifting a lot of focus towards videography, because they are making significant strides in this area, thus it's the easiest way to differentiate yourself from your competition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I love the 4K stills on Pany's, an 8K 60 fps still with Canon/Nikon like focusing and you have the killer dual purpose camea. I still think this is a test platform for the Olympics where 8K video is going to be king and 8K still @ 60fps will be queen. I've been thinking very hard about a Gh5 but I "might" reconsider (depends on the price, any thing over $2500 and I will have to think really hard). But the next six months should really be interesting:)  An F4 24-120 zoom as the kit lens would make it even more interesting (non-Leica of course, want to be able to get it repaired).

20. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Isn't that still the same as four thirds, though? :) 

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.