1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panny DMW-GWC1 Wide-Angle Converter on 14/2.5 Lens?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by twokatmew, Mar 30, 2013.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have the 14/2.5 lens and am contemplating picking up the DMW-GWC1 wide-angle converter for it. I've seen photos posted here that were taken with this combo, and I'm wondering if someone would kindly post a pic of the converter on the 14mm lens and possibly a close-up of the adapters that come with the converter. I'm trying to get a feel for how the converter attaches to the lens.

I'd also appreciate any comments (good and bad) about users of this combo like it. Here's the link to the converter on the Panasonic web site:

Panasonic DMW-GWC1 - Wide Conversion LensDMW-GWC1 for G Series Cameras - Overview

Thx!

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks, Biro, a while ago I picked that converter up used, but the other day I was taking car shots in a rather dark car museum, and I could have used a wider-angle lens. I'd have used the Oly kit w/ its wide-angle adapter, but in such dark quarters, f/2.5 really helps to keep ISO lower over the f/3.5 of the kit lens at 14mm.

The last car museum I visited was brightly lit, so I dragged my tripod around for nothing. Assuming the museum I visited on Wednesday would be similar, I'd left the tripod at home along with my Oly kit and WA converter.... :mad:

But thanks for the suggestion, Biro. I'm reticent to purchase yet another wide-angle adapter, which is why I'd like more details on the Panny. :eek:

4. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Here's a link to a previous thread.

https://www.mu-43.com/f89/panasonic-dmw-gwc1-stock-26093/

It attaches with a kind of screw and snap. I remember thinking that there was something wrong as it takes a little more pressure than I thought necessary.

Pretty good performer too if I remember right.

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
  6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Hmmm. Methinks I should try my Oly kit with its WA converter + tripod.....

Thx all! :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

7. Rinaldo

Rinaldo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Option

What about the DMW-LW46?? It doesn't use an adapter... I don't have either but coincidentally I'm planning to get one...

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    That converter is designed for the LX3. From what I've read, it's best to use a converter specifically designed for a particular lens to get best IQ/least distortion.

Although the Oly converter is larger and fits on the larger Oly 14-42II & R, it seems IQ is similar to Panny 14/2.5 with its dedicated converter.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!