Panny DC-ZS70S

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Looking at a P-n-S that is pocketable without spending a ton. I know the sensor in it is small, but I've shot plenty of decent photos with an FZ-70 using an older version of the same sized sensor. The ZS features are significantly improved with 20mp, the Leica glass, 4k video, upgraded engine, etc. The goal is something pocketable that I can carry with me during the day, I pass by too many shots. The FZ-70 would be fine for that, it's just too big, about he same size as my G7 with the P12-60 on it.

Thoughts? Other than the sensor size I'm not seeing much of a downside. Here are a couple of FZ-70 shots. I have the indoor distillery shot on canvas in my office in 16 X 20, and it's acceptable considering it was made in full auto with no thought to DOF or anything but composition. A little care would've made it better.

36200294493_ff3e9d8048_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
015 by telecast, on Flickr

42057234205_1b9eb71676_b.jpg
070a by telecast, on Flickr

46929800274_c754eda8df_b.jpg
line2_0002 by telecast, on Flickr

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
It seems more of a matter of photographer motivation than of machinery. But, at a glance, the Lumix LX100 seems pretty nice. https://camerasize.com/compare/#700,569
I take my GX80 everywhere I go (at least where I know I will find my particular style of subject to shoot).
Not sure what you mean by 'photographer motivation? If you're implying that I just don't want to carry a big camera, that'd be an incorrect assumption. I have a job that takes me out almost everyday. It would be unacceptable for clients to see me carrying around an ILC and taking photos on their dime. Carrying it in and out of the office several times per day so it doesn't have to set in a steaming hot (or freezing cold) vehicle also would not be acceptable. An inexpensive pocket camera solves all of those issues...which brings me to your next comment. I agree the LX100 looks great. It's also twice the price. Comparing feature for feature, there's not twice the value in the camera for my purposes.

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
The goal is something pocketable that I can carry with me during the day, I pass by too many shots. The FZ-70 would be fine for that, it's just too big
If you're implying that I just don't want to carry a big camera, that'd be an incorrect assumption.

Sorry, it sounded a bit like you considered your FZ-70 too big to carry with you during the day :) There are many cameras that are small and not so expensive, take the Lumix TZ series, for instance.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I've been having the same internal argument. It's hard to be convincing when my GX1 and 14mm or 12-32 are so compact, but I've owned raw-capable compacts and found them quite handy. Good luck, and when in doubt do like we all do & buy 'em all :eek:

fuji f550, jpeg and adjusted raw -
f550e.jpg

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Sorry, it sounded a bit like you considered your FZ-70 too big to carry with you during the day :) There are many cameras that are small and not so expensive, take the Lumix TZ series, for instance.

I'll look into the TZ's thanks!

I've been having the same internal argument. It's hard to be convincing when my GX1 and 14mm or 12-32 are so compact, but I've owned raw-capable compacts and found them quite handy. Good luck, and when in doubt do like we all do & buy 'em all :eek:

fuji f550, jpeg and adjusted raw -
View attachment 770096

Not too shabby! I see those are pretty affordable too. I'll check into them.

Top362nd

Mu-43 Rookie
I have a ZS100 (TZ100 in some countries) with a so-called one inch sensor, that I carried as a second camera I could pull out quickly for a long zoom on a recently trip to Italy. And as a bonus, it uses the same battery as my primary camera, a Lumix GX9. So I carried several batteries that could be used in either.

West's Camera

New to Mu-43
Small and very pocketable, slightly larger sensor than the FZ-70 (1/1.7), and RAW capable sounds like something like the Canon s110 or faster s120 which is more expensive. Lots are available as used on the internet (E-bay).

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I have had both Canon and Panasonic P&S, and I cannot say the Panasonics are better than the Canons. I had an S120 for several years and it gave me some stunning pics. I never enjoyed the same sort of success (to my eyes) with the small sensor Panasonics, though I know many who have. The S90, S110 and S120 would all by my first choice if I was to go back to a small sensor P&S.
common-darter_35433955914_o.jpg

breakfast-at-32000-feet_35093685602_o.jpg

trojan-les-bains-le-doleron_17052561991_o.jpg

the-fishing-huts-of-royan_23869940578_o.jpg

42194711440_15073a143f_o.png

Glawsder

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Deryck
After getting rid of my PM1 I realised I needed a carry around camera. My phone isn't good enough and my mu-43 kit is too big and cumbersome.

I bought a GX80 and 12-32, but it was still too big and heavy, so it was replaced (at not cost) with a secondhand LX100 , smaller, lighter, faster and better IQ. Still a bit heavy and it needs big pockets to be pocketable, but i find it acceptable, and it takes wonderful photos.

I bought a TZ200 for my wife to replace her old Canon APSC system and she wouldn't go back, and she now uses it as her main camera as well as her run-around (but won't let me sell the Canon kit). It takes fabulous photos but is quite expensive so I'd expect it to.

In short there are some very good P&S cameras out there and many of us use cameras that are smaller, lighter and don't require messing around with lenses as well as our Mu-43 kit.

Decide what IQ, size, weight, zoom range, speed you want and temper it against what you can afford.
There is a 1 inch sensor showcase on here, with shots from a number of different camera's, you may find that useful. I posted these after a recent visit to Africa

1 Inch showcase

Last edited:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Some good advice and excellent shots on here, thanks to all and keep 'em coming! I'm doing a lot of comparisons and E window shopping.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Ended up with a used Excellent + condition ZS-70 from KEH for $257. At that price couldn't resist, plus their 180 day warranty. I looked at an awful lot of cameras in a few short days, decided to stay with Panny because my menu learning curve will be zero. Also, the ZS-70 is highly rated from what I can tell. It may not be quite as small as I wanted, but should work fine for my purpose.

Thanks to all who replied.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Small and very pocketable, slightly larger sensor than the FZ-70 (1/1.7), and RAW capable sounds like something like the Canon s110 or faster s120 which is more expensive. Lots are available as used on the internet (E-bay).

I still have my Canon S110, but it has been relegated to backup role for pocket service to the [Canon G9X] with 1" sensor (same body size). A little shorter on the zoom reach though.

Last edited:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I thought a lot about what I'd be doing. Many times I'm driving out to a small town and passing through farm fields. There are enough times I need the zoom to warrant the 720mm equiv. zoom. I considered one (can't recall the model, but it was a Panny) with a 1" sensor and 72mm equiv zoom. I reasoned that the 1/2.3 sensor is 8X smaller than the 1", but the zoom is 10X longer. As near as I can tell I'm further ahead with the optical zoom than over cropping. I'm probably overthinking that, but there it is.

Last edited:

Top362nd

Mu-43 Rookie
I still have my Canon S110, but it has been relegated to backup role for pocket service to the GX9 with 1" sensor (same body size). A little shorter on the zoom reach though.
That wouldn’t be a GX9.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
That wouldn’t be a GX9.

I'm guessing he meant Powershot G9 X
I thought a lot about what I'd be doing. Many times I'm driving out to a small town and passing through farm fields. There are enough times I need the zoom to warrant the 720mm equiv. zoom. I considered one (can't recall the model, but it was a Panny) with a 1" sensor and 72mm equiv zoom. I reasoned that the 1/2.3 sensor is 8X smaller than the 1", but the zoom is 10X longer. As near as I can tell I'm further ahead with the optical zoom than over cropping. I'm probably overthinking that, but there it is.

You are at about half the diagonal. It's an easy fraction. 1 vs 1/2.3, that's a 2.3x crop of a 1". In terms of cropping, you'd be ahead on the small camera at a 2.3x for noise. But, in terms of resolution, a 2.3x crop is going to take a 20Mp 1" sensor down to about 4MP. So you'll be ahead in terms of pixels on subject with only a tiny bit of extra zoom.

So in short, there's no way to catch up to a zoom that big by cropping a short zoom from larger sensor. Even FF.

If you've been satisfied with the FZ70 output, and want the zoom, then I'm not sure what else there is to discuss or why we'd talk you into a larger sensor/camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom