Panny DC-ZS70S

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I'm guessing he meant Powershot G9 X

You are at about half the diagonal. It's an easy fraction. 1 vs 1/2.3, that's a 2.3x crop of a 1". In terms of cropping, you'd be ahead on the small camera at a 2.3x for noise. But, in terms of resolution, a 2.3x crop is going to take a 20Mp 1" sensor down to about 4MP. So you'll be ahead in terms of pixels on subject with only a tiny bit of extra zoom.

So in short, there's no way to catch up to a zoom that big by cropping a short zoom from larger sensor. Even FF.

If you've been satisfied with the FZ70 output, and want the zoom, then I'm not sure what else there is to discuss or why we'd talk you into a larger sensor/camera.
What's the harm in continuing a friendly discussion? A larger sensor has been mentioned several times, seemed worth a response.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
That wouldn’t be a GX9.

Excuse the typo...G9X.

20171027_0329.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Santa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom Staggs
Ended up with a used Excellent + condition ZS-70 from KEH for $257. At that price couldn't resist, plus their 180 day warranty. I looked at an awful lot of cameras in a few short days, decided to stay with Panny because my menu learning curve will be zero. Also, the ZS-70 is highly rated from what I can tell. It may not be quite as small as I wanted, but should work fine for my purpose.

Thanks to all who replied.
Hey Brownie, I have had the ZS 60 and have been very satisfied with it for the Zoom. what I like about it is that it uses the same commands and battery of my GX 85. very satisfied . I wore out a ZS 40 before that.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Hey Brownie, I have had the ZS 60 and have been very satisfied with it for the Zoom. what I like about it is that it uses the same commands and battery of my GX 85. very satisfied . I wore out a ZS 40 before that.
[/QUOTE]
Good news! I think it'll do for an EDC just nicely.

Santa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom Staggs
Good news! I think it'll do for an EDC just nicely.
[/QUOTE]
Yep. It will. Also when you go to a concert that they will not let you in with a detachable lens camera. You have a huge zoom in a little camera that doesn’t attract attention

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Ok, I think I can live with this. The zoom end suffers some resolution as is to be expected. It's odd dealing such a limited aperture, but this is for grab shots and will probably end up living in P mode anyway. The pallet in the second shot is roughly centered in the first.

48639333627_01d04f2074_c.jpg
P1000355 by telecast, on Flickr

48638842468_f0eb53b64b_c.jpg
P1000356 by telecast, on Flickr

relic

Hobbyist
For what it's worth, I have the older ZS50 12 Mpx that I bought used. I was looking for something really pocketable, with a superzoom lens, and with a viewfinder. It also saves raw files. I sometimes get good results, other times not so much (I think that happens when I don't pay attentions to the shutter speed, or when it focuses on the background).

Latest threads

Top Bottom