Panny and Oly leaving Micro Four Thirds?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by sigamy, Mar 31, 2014.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The 43Rumors post is dated April 1. Do you know how many Pentax FF bodies have been announced on 4/1?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    If this is an April Fool's Joke it is totally irresponsible and abhorrent.
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    "" is probably a pretty decent source for accurate news.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I'm preeeetttttty sure it's an April Fool's joke, haha, as it's already April 1 in some parts of the world. The source is way too iffy, (seriously, how often do we get leaked audio?) and there would be a note about it not being April fools. Call me a cynic, but it just looks like Andrea and Vitaliy(and possibly some personal-view forum members) are collaborating to keep the joke going. I'd say it's pretty cleverly designed, given that it has just enough of a hint of truth to make it seem feasible.

Worst case scenario, just wait till April 2 to find out =P
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I think it's an April fools joke- the Admin of that site is getting back the obnoxious users.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Don't worry, sure this is an april fools joke. A bad one, but one nevertheless..
  7. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    NAB is next week right? While M43 is not really for the NAB audience, I can see the Panny booth very crowded with folks looking for answers.
  8. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Agreed. Its dated April 1. You cannot get to excited about news on April 1.
  9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have it on good authority that this is sadly true :frown:

I'm going to buy up some m43 stuff... sort of a personal museum, so PM me if you are interested in selling your gear. Unfortunately I can't pay much for a dead and unsupported system. I'm sure you understand.
    • Like Like x 9
  10. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Don't worry guys ;)
  11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  12. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Yes, same here. A Nocticron and a GH4 would round out the collection nicely. Since they are then practically unusable, I can pay $800 each, so let me know if you want to off load your useless equipment for a good (relatively speaking) amount of money.
  13. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I can confirm that a pair of native speakers are discussing what appears in the text. However, that could be anyone talking.

On the other hand, the news out of Japan regarding Panasonic isn't all that great. They are refocusing their efforts into the auto parts, housing and B-to-B (business-to-business arm that includes aviation, energy and logistics) sectors, and de-emphasizing the consumer products categories.
  14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    O Boy O Boy! Yahoo! Yes!!!! Yes!!!! Yes!!!!

I gotta show this to the Princess of the Exchequer!!!

Now that my E-PL1 and E-M5 and associated kit are dead and useless I need to get an order in for that Fuji X100S that I've been hankerin' for*...

Who woulda figured April 1 would turn out to be such a day???

*(If I thought I wouldn't have to cancel the order on April 2nd I might actually order one...sigh).
  15. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Lawrence Richards
    my heart sank for a second... (then lept when I thought about all the cheap lenses that will be had), then settled down when I noticed the date on the article in mu43 rumors...

They got me, and no actual harm was caused - perfect April Fools joke, well done!

• Like Like x 1
  16. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Seems like the timing is sinister if it is an April fool's joke - not sure why any site would post such a rather humorless joke to risk getting flamed to oblivion.

Maybe I'm gullible, but I'm inclined to believe it's true. Yes it's April fool's (eve), but it's also the end of the fiscal year for Panasonic and Olympus (their years begin on 4/1). A lot of important decisions get made around the new fiscal year. Panasonic's in the middle of major restructuring and have publicly said they will cut unprofitable divisions. Based on last year's CIPA numbers, it seems to have been a terrible year for camera sales all around, especially mirrorless, so the smaller players seem to be facing a pivotal decision. I guess I'll just wait to be debunked on this one.
  17. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    A better April fools would have been Nikon jumps on M43 bandwagon. Oly and Panny quitting M43 is just malicious and not funny.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Well, you kind of have to post a april fools joke on april 1st. personal-view that seems to have posted this first, did so 3 minutes past midnight in Russia, on April 1st, plus they delete posts that say it is a april fools joke. Take that as you will.