Panny and Oly leaving Micro Four Thirds?

napilopez

Contributing Editor
Real Name
Napier Lopez
I'm preeeetttttty sure it's an April Fool's joke, haha, as it's already April 1 in some parts of the world. The source is way too iffy, (seriously, how often do we get leaked audio?) and there would be a note about it not being April fools. Call me a cynic, but it just looks like Andrea and Vitaliy(and possibly some personal-view forum members) are collaborating to keep the joke going. I'd say it's pretty cleverly designed, given that it has just enough of a hint of truth to make it seem feasible.

Worst case scenario, just wait till April 2 to find out =P

sigamy

Mu-43 Regular
NAB is next week right? While M43 is not really for the NAB audience, I can see the Panny booth very crowded with folks looking for answers.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have it on good authority that this is sadly true :frown:

I'm going to buy up some m43 stuff... sort of a personal museum, so PM me if you are interested in selling your gear. Unfortunately I can't pay much for a dead and unsupported system. I'm sure you understand.

krugorg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm going to buy up some m43 stuff... sort of a personal museum, so PM me if you are interested in selling your gear. Unfortunately I can't pay much for a dead and unsupported system. I'm sure you understand.
:rofl:

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Yes, same here. A Nocticron and a GH4 would round out the collection nicely. Since they are then practically unusable, I can pay $800 each, so let me know if you want to off load your useless equipment for a good (relatively speaking) amount of money.

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I can confirm that a pair of native speakers are discussing what appears in the text. However, that could be anyone talking.

On the other hand, the news out of Japan regarding Panasonic isn't all that great. They are refocusing their efforts into the auto parts, housing and B-to-B (business-to-business arm that includes aviation, energy and logistics) sectors, and de-emphasizing the consumer products categories.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/panasonic-plots-return-record-revenue-154108894.html

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
O Boy O Boy! Yahoo! Yes!!!! Yes!!!! Yes!!!!

I gotta show this to the Princess of the Exchequer!!!

Now that my E-PL1 and E-M5 and associated kit are dead and useless I need to get an order in for that Fuji X100S that I've been hankerin' for*...

:2thumbs:

Who woulda figured April 1 would turn out to be such a day???

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

*(If I thought I wouldn't have to cancel the order on April 2nd I might actually order one...sigh).

TucsonLawrence

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lawrence Richards
my heart sank for a second... (then lept when I thought about all the cheap lenses that will be had), then settled down when I noticed the date on the article in mu43 rumors...

They got me, and no actual harm was caused - perfect April Fools joke, well done!

Lawrence

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
Seems like the timing is sinister if it is an April fool's joke - not sure why any site would post such a rather humorless joke to risk getting flamed to oblivion.

Maybe I'm gullible, but I'm inclined to believe it's true. Yes it's April fool's (eve), but it's also the end of the fiscal year for Panasonic and Olympus (their years begin on 4/1). A lot of important decisions get made around the new fiscal year. Panasonic's in the middle of major restructuring and have publicly said they will cut unprofitable divisions. Based on last year's CIPA numbers, it seems to have been a terrible year for camera sales all around, especially mirrorless, so the smaller players seem to be facing a pivotal decision. I guess I'll just wait to be debunked on this one.

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Seems like the timing is sinister if it is an April fool's joke - not sure why any site would post such a rather humorless joke to risk getting flamed to oblivion.

Maybe I'm gullible, but I'm inclined to believe it's true. Yes it's April fool's (eve), but it's also the end of the fiscal year for Panasonic and Olympus (their years begin on 4/1). A lot of important decisions get made around the new fiscal year. Panasonic's in the middle of major restructuring and have publicly said they will cut unprofitable divisions. Based on last year's CIPA numbers, it seems to have been a terrible year for camera sales all around, especially mirrorless, so the smaller players seem to be facing a pivotal decision. I guess I'll just wait to be debunked on this one.
Well, you kind of have to post a april fools joke on april 1st. personal-view that seems to have posted this first, did so 3 minutes past midnight in Russia, on April 1st, plus they delete posts that say it is a april fools joke. Take that as you will.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom