Panny 45mm/2.8 focus hunting for video

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by SHD, Jun 10, 2011.

1. SHD

SHD New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2011

Not sure if this would be the right forum as the "problem" is with the lens but the solution, if there is one, is probably in the body.

So today I received my GH2 and 45mm/2.8. I'm still waiting on the adapter that will allow me to use my various legacy lenses for the rest of the range but mostly I do macro photography so the features of this macro lens appealed to me.

Anyhow, I've been mucking about with the combo for a few hours now and so far I'm quite happy with it for stills. Certainly it is blowing out of the water my previous setup in terms of not only how good an image it can capture but also how easily. I mean, being able to just point at the bug on the screen and have it autofocus for you is pretty much the stuff of scifi.

The reason I went GH2, though, was video. I want to do some video projects including macro video. While the macro focus is handy and I appreciate the ability to shift focus in video, I am finding the lens does not necessarily track well. When panning or if the subject is moving, the focus will deteriorate for a bit and then the lens will begin to hunt for a new focus point (going through the full range or at least a good part of it).

I can do a passable job with the manual focus and I'm sure with a bit of practice it can become second nature. Is it too much to ask of this setup to be able to continuously auto-adjust focus when slowly panning or if an object moves closer or further from the lens? Is there a setting or feature I'm missing? I tried both ACF and ACS settings and the various AF settings. I tried shrinking and growing my AF spot in single point mode. The AF does seem to hunt a bit when using it as a moderate tele lens as well but not nearly as badly. Anything I can do to tame this?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    They really need a firmware update for this lens to change how the full/limit switch works, and make it a "macro"/"normal" switch.