Panny 45-200 and my epm 1 issue?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by travelbug, Feb 19, 2016.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    I bought a second hand 45-200 and use it with my epm 1. However it seems that the lens' mega ois isn't activating. I seem to get better pictures with my terrible body is even. My lens firmware is 1.2.

Is there a way to test the mega ois aside from using it with another mft? Is there a setting I am missing in the epm 1 to activate mega ois? Any help is greatly appreciated. Ty..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, if the body has a setting for it, set it to lens priority. Otherwise, try turning ibis off and see what happens.

Barry

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    On the EPM1, I believe you just turn off IS, and then flip the switch on the zoom if you want the lens OIS to work. Easy to turn off IS if you have the SCP activated. Otherwise, it is the second item in the camera2 menu.

If the lens has no switch, then only IBIS is possible.

4. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    the lens has a switch, so yeah it should work if i turn off ibis. but my preliminary test seem to show no improvement with or without ios in picture clarity/sharpness while handheld.

i think it would be better to test it on video...

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I have the same combination,
    how would you like me to test if the lens OIS is working on mine?

6. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    shoot/video something with 200m handheld and note the difference with ois on and off (ibis should be off also).

7. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I didn't think OIS worked at all on early PEN models until someone asked a similar question on here a few months ago. Out of curiosity, I tried my 45-200 on my EPM1 and was surprised that it did actually work. I always keep the EPM1's IBIS turned off, so I can't comment if having it on or off makes any difference. What I did was turned the OIS barrel switch on and off, and evaluated the steadiness of the rear screen image.
    With OIS on, a half press of the shutter release would noticeably steady the on screen image.

I always found the IQ at lower shutter speeds to be unpredictable on the EPM1, and put that down to shutter shock. Could it be that the shutter speeds you are getting at 200mm are contributing to the problem?

8. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    i switched to video mode and i can confirm that my ois is indeed working as the difference is very pronounced on video. so that was both good news and a relief for me that i didnt buy a dud.

i just got this lens, so i think what was throwing me off was the general softness on 200mm which i mistook for a lack of stabilization, even while shooting on high shutter speeds.

would enabling the shutter shock settings help when shooting handheld? i do follow the mft lens mm multiplied by 2 rule=shutter speed so i would think that shutter shock enabled may have no bearing, but wanted to ask others.

9. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    There's a lot of talk on here about the 45-200mm being soft at the long end, though I've always considered mine to be acceptable. I've generally used my 45-200 on a Lumix G model. The results from my EPM1 however have been a little inconsistent at lower shutter speeds, regardless of what lens and anti-shock / IBIS settings I've used, and I thought that was worth a mention in case you were testing it in lower light. I typically used the EPM1 on family days out where the lighting was usually good, and since it served that purpose well, I never put too much effort into chasing improvements in it's lower light performance. I sill have it, but it's been retired since I bought the RX100

10. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    i agree peebee. 200mm is soft but i find it acceptable for what this lens is and its price point. dialing down to 180mm seems to make it a lot sharper. but 200mm stopped down to f/8 is good for me but of course no match to my o25, o45 and rok12. the lens is good as ling as you have enough light, and a cloudy day would be pushing its usability at the longer end from my limited experience with the lens.