1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny 45-175X on an Olly body?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DonTom, Jun 12, 2012.

1. I keep coming back to this lens, even though I know I shouldn't......

Is it possible to use its OIS on an Olly E-PL1? I like that it has the same filter size as the 20/1.7 and 14/2.5, and I know I will like that extra reach over the Olly 40-150. I'm not going to touch it if I can't use the OIS tho, will get the Olly instead.

I haven't followed every detail of the earlier issues, wondering if some experienced "local" can help me out.....

Cheers,
    Tom

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I'm still interested in this lens as well...even though I know I shouldn't be. Apparently (can't confirm) the lens' ois is inactivated if the ibis on the camera is on...hopefully someone else can confirm this though.

I like the fact that the lens doesn't extend, and that the price is right (right now anyway)...the extra bit of reach over the 40-150 is nice too.

Here's a recent thread discussing some of the issues:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f38/safe-buy-panasonic-45-175-yet-27165/

• Like Like x 1
  3. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I have ordered one and should have it tomorrow. I need a zoom for a graduation on Sunday. I'll be testing this on my E-M5 as soon as it arrives.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Pana OIS is inactive on the Olympus E-PL1 etc. I love this lens.

5. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Good to hear. Did you have to do anything special?

6. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    bcaslis

Originally Posted by Joe777
    Pana OIS is inactive on the Olympus E-PL1 etc. I love this lens.
    Good to hear. Did you have to do anything special?

No, reverts to Olympus system.

7. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Lens works on my Olympus

Recently bought this lens for grandchildren little league baseball, etc. Tried it first on my e-pl2 where it worked well. Have taken only a few shots with it on my new e-m5 but so far it has worked well. Another baseball game tomorrow.

Having read so much online about the softness of the long zoom lenses for m4/3 and having sold the three Olympus telephoto zoom lenses because I found them too soft, I was pleasantly surprised by the sharpness of this lens.

This lens is not as sharp as my 4/3 zuiko 50-200 or my m4/3 primes, but the lens is a lot easier to use at the local little league baseball game than the 50-200. (I reserve the 50-200 for more static shots.) And the sharpness is not what I would call soft, but rather quite acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    With a few brief tests, I'm not sure yet. At slow speeds, I can get crisp shots with IBIS on. At higher speeds, it seems like the IBIS is causing some minor doubling with the images. But it's hard to guess what speed needs what. Seems like 1/320 of a second with IBIS on is not good, but off is. But 1/800 second seems to work either way. Still trying to figure this out. All shots were static images, not moving targets.