Panny 42.5/1.7 or Oly 45/1.8 on GX85?

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Let me start off by saying I've owned what seems like 100 m4/3s bodies and lenses over the years, and never really worried about shooting P on O or O on P. Just purchased a GX85 and need to decide on a "portrait" lens.

The 42.5/1.7 is maybe $75 more than the 45/1.8, and as I understand it (never owned one) gives me dual IS and ability to shoot shorter FL. Also likely sharper from edge to edge, corner to corner.

I've owned numerous 45/1.8s, and loved them all. Is the 42.5 preferable on the GX85? I'll use it for portraits, but also shooting some concerts/performances, and probably some basketball. Video and stills, priority on stills.

Curious to hear what the community has experienced with these lenses. Thanks!

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would get whichever one is cheaper. The oly 45mm is just as sharp as the Panasonic.

terp02andrew

Mu-43 Regular
My reason for getting the 42.5/1.7 is because of the IS for use on the GX850. I was very impressed with the results I saw out of it.
There's also a secondary benefit of the superior MFD (12.2" on the Panny vs 19.7" on the Oly) - which contributes to a 0.2x to 0.11x advantage. I once owned the 45/1.8 but sold it b/c I wasn't using it much.

mirrorlesscomparison.com managed 0.4s on the 42.5 Lumix vs the 1/5 on the Noct, so Dual IS seems effective. I know based on lens IS alone, I wasn't able to get nearly as slow shutter speeds (maybe 3-stops if I'm using good technique, but real world 2.5 stops).

MarcioK

Mu-43 Regular
With the Panasonic in the GX85 you will have Dual IS, with the Oly only the internal IBIS IS. Have both lenses, the difference in stabilization is visible (specially on video).

Image quality wise, they are on par.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
BC69C376-AD4E-49AE-9123-2C0B28243EB2.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
00BB44E1-99FF-4EB0-9B5C-A01A426E365F.jpeg
8BDA82B1-7431-4FAF-B86C-598E0A6EF77E.jpeg
A54B183B-A068-4DA0-BD3F-7563955B17A4.jpeg
Panasonic camera = Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 lens and any OIS and IBIS that is going. I have both, almost my favourite lens, deffo my favourite prime, a great combo for me.

Last edited:

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
I've only had the Panasonic 42.5 1.7, and it's a great lens for the GX85. Small light and compact, with great optics. I use it for nightlife city video and time lapse. Here's a video shot with the GX85 and 42.5, the intro zoom clip of the fountain was shot with the kit lens. But the rest was 42.5.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
I've got a GX85 and have owned both (multiple times actually, because I'm an idiot who sells gear and then needs it next month)

Panasonic is sharper at max aperture and focuses much more closely. I also find the AF to be a bit more consistent. Olympus is still plenty sharp enough for portraits and has smoother bokeh, nicer rendering. I didn't find Dual IS to make a noticeable difference for how I shoot.

I'd say Olympus for portraits only and Panasonic for all around.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just ordered the Panny. Why? I have a 10% eBay bucks special at the moment, so I chose the lens that would get me the most bucks. :) Actually, it seems like a coin toss, so I figured I'd go with the one I haven't tried before. Same reason I ordered General Tso's beef instead of chicken last week. But that didn't work out so well...Hopefully the lens isn't gummy on the outside and overly chewy and stringy on the inside.

Tool Crazy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've owned both however I currently own only the panasonic version. I slightly prefer the overall image rendering from the olympus from what I remember though. Also the panny is noisy! Sounds like a floppy drive is running on your camera when it focuses, it's not very loud but considerably noisier than any other m43 lens I own or owned and I've tried many. With that said, I've noticed panasonic lenses on panasonic bodies focus slightly better with less hunting, most likely because of DFD. It's not huge but I can perceive a small but noticeable difference in af.

dissembled

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
A. Alabanza
I own the 45/1.8 and sold the Panasonic 42.5 fairly recently. The Panasonic hunted a fairly bit with my E-M10 III while the 45/1.8 fared better. I also much preferred the out of focus rendering from the Olympus. The Panasonic's was less buttery. I like buttery and the Olympus provided that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom