1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny 25mm f1.4 on OM-d, Phew!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by colonelpurple, Feb 8, 2013.

1. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks for the advice on the other thread

My 25mm Panasonic arrived today, just finished initial testing.
    In the nick of time, the 12-50mm was frankly disappointing (nice colours, detail lacking), although unfair I know as I am comparing it to Leica primes, and I held off evaluating my new camera.

I don't want to diss the 12-50 completely, its not bad for a quickie:

P2070043.

With the Panasonic 25mm f1.4, My findings are:
    f1.4 sharp
    f2 tack in the centre and good on the corners
    progression better through f2.8, f4 and f5.6 (becoming virtually unnoticeable with each jump).

As expected (in line with other cameras I have tried, both with in-body and in-lens shake compensation), slightly sharper with IBIS turned off. Don't ask me to explain this, buts it due to some compensation by the shake reduction even if you are completely steady.

Summary, this lens is good at f1.4, but simply spectacular above this.
    You can certainly see the Leica signature on the colours and micro contrast.
    The Oly (Sony) sensor shines through and gives perfect pixel level detail.

So now I am convinced, only the best prime lenses for me. Might try the Panny 12-35mm f2.8 and 35-100mm for fun though, as I have heard good things. I only need one long telephoto, so its either the Oly 75mm f1.8 or the Panny 35-100mm

Here are some cropped samples at the pixel level (slightly different light, some default adobe lightroom settings, not ideal but you get the idea):

Focus on curl in the centre, slightly to the left:

@ f1.4:

P2080057.

@ f2

P2080056.

I just think getting this type of clarity out of a non-FF camera AT THE PIXEL LEVEL is just outstanding.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Consider that your gateway drug.

• Like Like x 3
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It certainly is a fine lens. Very nice photos, excellent color. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    :rofl::biggrin::thumbup:

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yep - Awesome lens on any body! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I love the 25/1.4, it is an amazing lens with very special rendering.

• Like Like x 2
  7. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    lovely combo. I have to save up my pannies for the lens .

• Like Like x 1
  8. jpmac55

jpmac55 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 3, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    Yes, new to m-43 myself but have been very pleased with the prime lens selection.

Regarding your interest in zooms, I opted for the rather inexpensive 40-150mm just to have. I was tempted by the high end Panasonic offerings but didn't want the temptation on which lens to take.

As for the Olympus 75mm, many of the reviews I read regard that as the sharpest prime of them all.

9. Mytola

Mytola Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    I'm seriously considering the panaleica 25mm myself. Looks like a very good lens indeed.

You should definately get the 75mm 1.8. It's tack sharp at pixel level from wide open and onwards. Closest to lens-magic I've ever seen.

• Like Like x 1
  10. faisalj

faisalj Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2013
    Singapore
    PL 25mm is a fantastic lens :) been using it since i got it for my birthday and am loving it..!

• Like Like x 1
  11. nosser

nosser New to Mu-43

Aug 5, 2012
    I have been debating getting his lens since I already have the 20 1.7 but I think I might just go ahead and order it.

12. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    Not to nitpick but I see some purple fringing on the butterfly bead thing, and the left silvery border of the blue stained glass panel. If you have Photoshop/Lightroom you should be able to use Adobe Lens Profile Downloader to get a profile for the PL25 and then you can enable lens correction which has a checkbox to fix chromatic aberration.

• Like Like x 1
  13. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    I don't normally use lens correction for this focal length
    Let me see

14. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Butterfly - maybe a hair on the left edge at extreme magnification. Silvery border - don't see it. Beautiful shot.
    The Photoshop downloader is for Windows only.

• Like Like x 1
  15. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    You have options for what type of correction you can apply: distortion, vignetting, and CA. There are sliders for distortion & vignetting so if you don't like the effect these produce you can always disable them while still getting the CA correction.

16. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    If it is just chromatic abberation corrections I just do it manually without a lens profile.

17. bjolgerud

bjolgerud Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    Been using the PL25 on my OMD since November, just recently I discovered a new challenge. The sun. This winter sure have been dark and grey in Norway, but this weekend the sun it poped out. Great to have it back, but suddenly my PL25 got way to bright. Adjusting the aperture helped (I love to shot at 1.4) but then again some of the PL25 magic disappears. Luckily the OMD can restore a lot of the blow-out in the raw file.

Anyhow – how do I address this issue, should I buy a uv filter or just reduce the exposure?

18. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    +1 for ND. UV filter won't do anything but potentially degrade image quality and induce flare. Oh for real ISO 50 and 100 (and cleaner low ISO in general)...

• Like Like x 1
  20. bjolgerud

bjolgerud Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    Thx you so much, ND filter it is. Any recommend brands?