1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny 20mm or XZ1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by eternallurker, Jan 20, 2012.

1. eternallurker

eternallurker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2010
    Currently I have an EPL-1 with the kit lens, and two legacy Chinnon lenses (50mm 1.4 and a 28mm 2.8)

This current setup is very good for most of what I do, but I feel it's too slow for some settings in which I find myself more and more wishing I had a more capable setup.

That is, low light street-indoors-bar-clubs-parties, candid and/or "documentary" shots.

The kit lens is too slow, and the camera can't autofocus most of the time.
    The legacy glass is pretty fast, but a lot of times I have to focus manually on distance "guestimates".
    And blurry shots are abundant.

So I'd like to get better low light capabilities, and if possible more accurate autofocus.

Option 1.
    I've been meaning to get the Panny 20mm and the EVF2 since I got my camera.
    This has been my goal and it's still my main option right now.

But...

Option 2
    But lately I've been eyeing the XZ1 and it's low light capabilities, and reviews seem to be very positive all around.

Which option you think will be better for lowlight, people documentary style?

Option 2 has a good plus because it's more pocketable.
    Although that's not a deal breaker.

I think performance or ability to make the shot is most important.

Thanks.

2. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    For your needs I'm pretty sure XZ1 will never come any close to E-PL1+20 1.7 in every aspect except for pocketability. Try lens first and add EVF if you really need it, but I ended up using it for bright light outdoors shooting only.

3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    The VF-2 on its own with your legacy glass will make a huge difference in your ability to ensure focus is accurate, though it won't necessarily be fast if you are trying to capture fleeting moments.

The 20mm f1.7, as you know is going to be faster than the XZ1 though I do not own either so I can't speak to the speed or accuracy of the autofocus.

While the XZ1 would surely be the smallest option, the E-PL1 with the 20mm will still be smaller than any of the potential options you currently have.

4. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have both and the obvious size advantage is huge, but that zoom on the xz1 comes in very handy and combined with the Evf is nice little combo. The larger ep has the edge with the bigger sensor and the 20mm is hot lens, but the discreet size of the xz1 goes a long way for me

5. travlpix

travlpix New to Mu-43

Jul 19, 2010
    I have an XZ-1 and an E-PL2. The XZ-1 is fine for everyday carrying around, slips into your coat pocket. (It works better on sunny days with the VF-2 attached, though, making it less pocketable.) Makes nice images in good light. However, it's not a low-light camera. I'd go the 20mm/finder route - the finder alone will make a big difference in manual focusing, as someone already noted.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The difference between the E-PL1 + 20/1.7 and the XZ-1 in low light is pretty big - the equivalent of about 2.5 stops of light. That said if you're expecting instant focus in dark restaurants and whatnot, you probably will be disappointed. It's worlds better than the 14-42 kit lens of course, but it's not perfect.

DH

7. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Get the Panny.
    I hardly ever use my VF-2 BTW

8. eternallurker

eternallurker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2010
    Well thanks for your input.
    I'm still leaning towards getting the Panny 20mm.
    I'm sure I'll get better pics with that kit.

But something tells me that the xz1 will see more use and be a better bang for the buck.

My wife doesn't like my EPL1 and her old trusty casio is about to die.

So the jury is still out.

But.. I'm starting to plot to get my wife to pay for half the xz1.