Panny 20mm as a landscape lens take #4: Exposure Blending...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tanngrisnir3, Jul 16, 2012.

1. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    ...or, "How to stop worrying about lenses and concentrate on pictures"

Just spend a few days up in the Alabama Hills and Lake Sabrina, in the Eastern Sierra, for what was supposed to be a weekend of summer monsoon conditions.

Friday night: yup. The rest of the time? Newp.

Anyhow, after having finally gotten the full suite of NIK products, including the latest, greatest HDR Efex Pro 2, I thought I'd finally try my hand at exposure blending, but somewhat short of what is commonly done as HDR. I used it to blend up to 5 exposures together, but without any other adjustments in HDR Efex. Turns out that three worked better than five under these conditions, and I also did some minor tweaking in Viveza, Color Efex Pro 4 and LR 4.1.2

I've been lusting for the Panny 25mm for some time now, but having seem the potential that's there for landscape/architecture shots with this type of technique, I was reminded how important digital processing is, since this is, after all, digital photography. Do I still want the 25mm? Sure. Am I now going to rush out and replace my 20mm with one?

Not until I come up for air from drowning myself in learning the almost limitless depths of digital PP with these new tools.

Only two shots here, since we just got home last night, but this gives you an idea of what that little 20mm can do.

Pre-Sunset, Mt. Williamson by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

The Road East, Alabama Hills by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 26
  2. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Really like the first one! Been playing with the trial of HDR Efex Pro 2, I'm very close to buying that and Silver Efex Pro!
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Fantastic shots. Thanks for sharing these....I'm looking forward to your next post already and would love to learn more about your landscape photography process....these images of yours are so consistently good that unlike many of my images....luck I suspect plays very little part.
  4. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    I just several minutes looking at the first picture for a bearded man carrying stone tablets. Nice photos.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks, L!

As soon as I get a bit more processed, I'll put in some work on detailing my preferred ways of PP.
  6. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks. I'm sort of a sucker for crepuscular rays, and I've got a lot in my back-catalog.

My g/f joked that I should try and market this to a Christian rock band for an album cover shot.

Storm Break, Cuyama Valley, NIK by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 5
  7. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Nice, I think it suits the subject matter quite well.
  8. jpil

jpil Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012
    Fantastic shots. Thanks for sharing.
  9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Actually "Crepuscular Rays" might be a good band name as well.
  10. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Holy crap. Wow.

That is all.