Panny 20mm as a landscape lens, take #3: The Three Sisters

tanngrisnir3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Salton Sea is an incredible place for explorers and photographers, and there is a group of trees in the SE corner of it (the Three Sisters) that have become rather famous in certain circles, and photographed by far better shooters than me.

The light around it never fails to fascinate me, and the decay and derelict old buildings are worth the trip even if the weather doesn't cooperate.

This is also the first real night shot I've ever taken with the 20mm, and I fooled around with light painting with the Jeep's high beams, but now, in retrospect, that's just silly, since the Super Moon's light of last weekend was more than enough. The price I paid (and am paying) though, is two legs with more bug bites than I've had up in Yosemite. It was so bright that there are even shadows cast from the geothermal plant to the south.

Trust me, if you're in the S. California area, you owe it to yourself to check our the lake, Bombay Beach, Salton City, and the nearby Anza Borrego State Park and Font's point.

All processed through LR3.6.

View attachment 204454
3 Sisters Dawn #2 With Moon by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

View attachment 204455
3 Sisters Dawn by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

This last one, if I may be so bold, is really worth clicking through to Flickr and blowing up large on black. REALLY looking forward to more night shots. May even sell the 20 for the 25.

7151074221_3b1be71c0f_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3 Sisters Moonlight by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

These next ones were taken in brighter-than-the-sun broad daylight, and all with the Oly 40-150. Between 70 and about 110, it's SHARP. Not sure which treatment I prefer.

7151069741_903a91d6ec_b.jpg

3 Sisters #3 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

7151061567_1c6f81c9cb_b.jpg

3 Sisters #2 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

7004959286_ecbcdbb449_b.jpg

3 Sisters #1 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Lastly, as an experiment, the Minolta Rokkor MD 200 4.5 Not nearly as impressed with this as I am the various 135's, but it was worth it to see what it could do. It creates some odd artifacts at times. These are the far trees seen in the above photographs, at least 1/2 mile away.

7005046680_ae59797567_b.jpg

3 Sisters Dawn #3 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

phrenic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. I think I prefer the night shots..just surreal. The daytime one shows a neat contrast but just isn't as grabbing imho. I should take my 20mm out more. What sort of exposure times were you using?

BLX

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Morten
Awesome series
All are great but my fav is number 2

tanngrisnir3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. I think I prefer the night shots..just surreal. The daytime one shows a neat contrast but just isn't as grabbing imho. I should take my 20mm out more. What sort of exposure times were you using?

The one at night, IIRC, was between 1-2 seconds.

It was that bright.

Old Picker

Mu-43 Regular
great pictures. Also, I think you said you went up to Yosemite last weekend?
Would love to see those pictures. We went to Yosemite last year and will forever remain as the most beautiful place I have ever been. I will return for sure someday, as looking back at my photo's, I could and should have done so much better. Awesome place.
OP

tanngrisnir3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
great pictures. Also, I think you said you went up to Yosemite last weekend?
Would love to see those pictures. We went to Yosemite last year and will forever remain as the most beautiful place I have ever been. I will return for sure someday, as looking back at my photo's, I could and should have done so much better. Awesome place.
OP

Thanks!

We were planning on going to Yosemite, but picked the Salton Sea instead.

As it turns out, from listening to friends who went there, there were at least 250 photographers in Cooks Meadow alone, for the moonbows, and at least 1000 at various places around the Valley that night.

I think we made the right call.

Old Picker

Mu-43 Regular
Ahhhhh, I've been waiting all weekend to see the photo's.
We went to Yosemite April 2011, and there were quite a few people there then.
Still, the most beautiful place I have ever been, and as I like your photo's, was looking forward to seeing them. But, Salton Sea will have to do :)
Thanks again
OP

Latest threads

Top Bottom