1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny 20mm as a landscape lens, take #2: Hills East of Fresno

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tanngrisnir3, Apr 18, 2012.

1. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, I know, Fresno. That fetid Central Valley pit that most people overlook is situated right next to SEKI, Yosemite and a vast amount of the western Sierra. Hell, I'd live there just to be close to what it's so near to.

N and NE of the city proper, starting around Road 145 or Oneals Road, there are some really nice rolling hills that typify classic CA landscape for me. Grass, oaks, fences, what people often refer to as "Steinbeck Country", although he was from a bit further west.

We knew it would be storming last weekend, so I had my full assortment of lenses but, out of laziness, I suppose, I left the 20mm 1.7 on the GH2 the entire time. We started around Table Mountain, just east of the 41/145 interchange, and ended up that night in Mariposa.

All processed in LR3.6. No color mods whatsoever. I actually had to DEsaturate some of these because I thought they'd look cartoony. CP was on the lens, and I did some slight contrast adjustments. No sharpening, either. Many more than just these 3, but these are the best that I've PP'd so far.

7083911329_29d5a76301_b.
    Road 145, Heading East by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

7084041467_c7992931a3_b.
    Road 208 (Bellview Road) #4 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

7083993633_248efb36b4_b.
    Road 208 B (Bellview Road) Three Oaks by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

• Like Like x 16
  2. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    no HDR used? wow, those are great pics and very dramatic coloring!

3. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Newp. No HDR, no exposure blending/bracketing, no nada.

4. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Excellent pictures, love the rolling hills of #2 especially....!

5. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Beautiful Set!
    I get up that way fairly often.
    Thanks for the location info.

6. Nameer

Nameer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2012
    UK
    Great set, very impressive.

7. pczoide

pczoide Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2012
    Montréal QC
    Amazing! Very Windows Desktop-ish

8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Excellent shots mate, really vibrant.

9. dave37

dave37 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    Love those days of changing weather. Nice job

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Wow ... very very nice ... yes, classic California Hills. California Oak Woodland is the proper ID of that ecosystem. #3 is especially nice.

G

11. downy_ball

downy_ball Mu-43 Regular

That is such a nice area.... I know it well.
    Another of my favorites is Hwy 4 up out of Angels Camp (up towards Ebbetts Pass). More of the Gold Country flavor, but quite reminiscent of the area you were in.
    Great pics! :wink:

12. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

OH! OH! A fellow landscape shooter from E Cali!! ( I'm in Tejas now and may never leave.) I'm so excited cause I want to tell you about a very special place. You probably already know about it but if not I always revel in telling folks that frequent that area about it.

Mountain Home State Forest. Ever hear of it? Its in the Southern Sierra and just below Sequoia Natl Park. N of Springville, Ca.

Kings Canyon National Park

Same Giant Sequoias as the big parks ... very few people. Often none. Headwaters of the Kern R flow right thru the main campground in the form of a pleasant creek and waterfall.

If you go you must do me a favor. Somewhere not far from Balch Park ( you will find it ) there are two blasted giant redwoods, burned out but still jutting far into the sky. They were not there in my salad days of roaming this area but I saw them in '08 while doing a motorcycle tour and I did not have my serious camera gear. Plus I was with a younger guy that just wanted to keep moving. ( what a ______).

Anyway. One could spend a lifetime photographing up in the Giant Sequoia country but these two blasted snags deserve to be memorialized. I don't think anyone has yet done it. It is such an off the beaten path area.

My gift to you. :thumbup:

13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow ..Love them all.
    My favourite is number 3
    Thanks for sharing .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

14. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Is there anything this lens can't do? :)

15. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Hmmmm....

I'll try out some astro-photography with it and let you know!

16. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks! I'll check it out next time I'm up there.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Kings Canyon ... what a place ... what an incredibly majestic place. I remember my first trip, the morning fog had thickly shrouded the canyon and I didn't see the trees until I was amongst them ... dark gray shadows in the fog, columns of life towering and melting into the clouds. Getting out of the car one is confronted by the quiet ... for city people the silence will prickle the hairs on the back of their necks, as all they can hear is the crunch of their feet, the dripping of fog rolling off the pine needles and their own breathing. When a patch of fog dissipates, you look up ... and up ... and up ... until you're looking as high as you can and the trees are still higher. Even if you are not religious, you realize that there is something greater than man ... and you bow, not knowing to what.

18. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

These shots are awesome.

Nice job.

19. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Yup. I recommend it as a great alternative to Yosemite to anyone who's in the area. More to see, FAR less people, easier facilities, more variety, etc....

From Moro Rock to waaaaaaaay up to the north end of KC, it's got everything.

20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    How low is the quickly melting snow now in the Sierra? Have you been to the Bristle Pines?

G