Panny 20mm as a landscape lens. Results and Observations

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
For budget level CPs that actually work well, I've always stuck w/Tiffen.

For much higher quality, but much more money, B+W has always been my choice.

The reason I got a crappy one (it's a Zeikos) was that I had a remainder balance on a Amazon gift card. I got this CP and a remote shutter release for about $7 that doesn't work.

Circular polarizers aren't need on contrast detect auto focus cameras like m4/3. Linear polarizers are usually less expensive. So if you don't need to use it on another system and linear is available you can save a few dollars.

Fred

Al.

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alan
Curious to see a stitched 20mm landscape shot

Anyone :)

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

here is my stiched 20mm panorama

BTW great images

Ropes4u

Mu-43 Regular
Great photos! On a side note this post made me a little home sick, I called Bishop home for a while. When I was a child we used to spend summer on a family ranch up in the whites.

tanngrisnir3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Great photos! On a side note this post made me a little home sick, I called Bishop home for a while. When I was a child we used to spend summer on a family ranch up in the whites.

I'll be up there for the next two or three weekends, including in the Whites, for fall color change and the moon over the bristlecones.

I would LOVE to one day call Bishop home, or Bridgeport, perhaps, but until that day, duty calls.

melonbread

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jannette
Just had to say that the third and fourth shots, (all of them are beautiful), but those two I really love. The colours are so beautiful! We don't get landscapes like that in Australia, with softly blushing skies and powdered mountains.

Beautiful work! Thank you for posting.

tanngrisnir3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been planning to get to the Bristlecones for a few years now ... haven't quite put it all together. Any tips (other than just go), time of year .. et cetera.

Gary

The biggest question is often, 'where do you want to stay?' due to the time involved in getting up to the groves, esp. the Patriarchs, the highest of the two at over 11,000 ft and the condition of the road.

One can camp at Grandview, stay down in Big Pine (I recommend the clean and cheap Bristlecone Inn) or, for more serious money, if there's room, stay at the amazing White Mountain Research Station, just a few minutes from the Patriarchs, but clocking in (if you can get in) at $113/person.

There's an application process involved, so you have to have some reason to be there. My wife is a documentarian, so that got us in. You'll find biologists, geologists, etc....

I'd recommend the Patriarchs over the lower Schulman, and one can also get great shots of desolation by going past the Patriarchs, waaaaay up that ridge on the road over them.

I've been there three times now, and have never been satisfied with what I've shot, so hopefully that's about to change.

As for time? Anytime but winter, when the snow falls DEEP up there and the roads close.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks, very informative. I like the images from late spring with patches of snow. Gotta work on this. Again thanks. BTW- what is a "documentarian"?

tanngrisnir3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks, very informative. I like the images from late spring with patches of snow. Gotta work on this. Again thanks. BTW- what is a "documentarian"?

Someone who makes documentaries, as in films, books, exhibitions, etc....

It's an avocation for her. Her 'real' job is in entertainment/IP law.

dcassat

Mu-43 Veteran
Spinyman:

I know that you were answered by others. The 9-18 is a good value and does great things in the right hands. I won't give mine up. The 20mm as the pictures here illustrate so well is so consistent edge to edge at f5.6. And, it has a magical contrast thing going on that I've noted against my other lenses.

Still some of my favorites over time have been from the 9-18...

apbtlvr

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick
Re: Panny 20mm as a landscape lens

Although I've been playing with both the 14mm & 20mm for scenics, I will limit my observations to the 20mm. Despite not being a wide angle, I think the lens is quite capable for scenics, especially panoramas. Because it is so short, one can get away without using a nodal slide most of the time. When used horizontally for composition, the panos tend to come out somewhat long for my taste. But when composed vertically, the results are much more proportional and aesthetically pleasing.

5 shots, horizontal and stitched.
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/apbtlvr/8044696434/" title="Short Hill Panorama by apbtlvr, on Flickr">
8044696434_b136053169_b.jpg
"1024" height="269" alt="Short Hill Panorama"></a>

5 shots, vertically composed and stitched.
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/apbtlvr/8044687391/" title="Weaverton Moonrise Panorama by apbtlvr, on Flickr">
8044687391_e8c2d24931_b.jpg
"1024" height="450" alt="Weaverton Moonrise Panorama"></a>

A couple of other things worth noting. First this lens has a clear advantage with contrast based autofocus sensors, especially in low light. Another plus and this is more accessory related, is shared compatibility with lens hoods and circular polarizers between the 20mm and it's 14mm sibling. After years of lugging Nikon DX & FX gear, I find this lens on a small body like the GX1 makes for an incredibly light and portable outfit that's capable of producing excellent nature photos.

Latest threads

Top Bottom