Panny 20mm and Oly 17mm on E-PL1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by topkop, Apr 10, 2010.

1. topkop

topkop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2010
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi, I just got Olympus E-PL1 about two weeks ago. I've been enjoying the kit lens and now I'm looking to buy a prime lens. It's always been my plan, or my dream, to get Panasonic 20mm 1.7, so I'm trying to save up for that.

However, I read Steve Huff E-PL1 review last night. And he said he actually prefers Olympus 17mm 2.8 to the Panny..... And someone commented
    "there was less of a difference in IQ than when these two lenses were compared on the E-P2 or E-P1.".

So...does anyone have the E-PL1 and both lenses? How do they compared on the E-PL1 in terms of image quality as well as performance?

I'm very tempted by F1.7 but saving over a hundred bucks sounds good, too...

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I have both of those lenses and use them on Panasonic bodies, which use a light AA filter like the E-PL1.

Personally, I think the 17/2.8 is a good, sharp lens, which deserves a better rep than it has. However, it is outperformed in most respects by the Lumix 20/1.7, and the extra speed of the latter lens comes in handy. So, unless the 17mm angle of view is preferable to you, my advice would be to spend the extra money for the 20.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I use the Pen 1&2. I never leave the house without the 20 & the 17.
    For me it's the FOV that cuts a difference.
    IQ in the 20 is stellar but the 17 is far from a slouch.
    Let the FOV be the deciding factor because that's where the 2 lenses differ.
    Shooter

4. topkop

topkop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2010
    Oberlin, OH
    Thank you, Amin and Streetshooter!
    I don't actually know which FOV I prefer (yet). But I'm leaning towards 20mm.
    Plus I shoot indoor a lot, so I guess I'm better off with panasonic.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything that the Oly does better than the Panny?
    Like, colors or the feel of the image..... I read from somewhere that images from Panasonic look and feel very 'digital' while ones from Olympus are more film-like.... I sort of understand what that means but I'm not too sure.... Would love to hear people's view on that. :smile:

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The camera is the main factor in that question.
    The oly colors are more active. The oly also seems to be more organic.
    The oly lens, 17, is very nice and even in contrast while the 20 is very crisp and snappy.
    Of course you must realize, in your PP, you can work with anything.
    Once again I state for glass...FOV is all important.
    For the camera, I prefer the aesthetics in the Oly design.
    The Panny is nice because many members have it and say so but I don't believe it.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No, I don't see that. Both of these have fairly high lens contrast and therefore have a modern look in that sense. Maybe the Panasonic is a bit higher contrast, but it's nothing dramatic. There are a couple fellows in a certain other forum who love to say bad things about the Panasonic 20/1.7, but I think that has more to do with their investment in 20-25mm adapted glass, generally contrarian nature, and love for the sound of their own voice :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    Time to speak, I bought a GF-1 and sold it for an Ep-1 body, mostly because the jpgs out of the camera are days apart in terms of color. panasonic has a a slight color shift in the greens and the blues, "according to Tom hogan" and the skies seems to be more violet than blue, on the other side olympus colors do look like film and skin tone is preserved nicely, off course if you shoot RAW then olympus has zero advantage considering that both are using the same sensor, but there is something mystical about shooting with the PEN, loading the jpgs and getting stunned with the results....

8. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Just a few more thoughts to add to the above

The 20mm is a pearl and seems to be able to do anything - once on the EP it also adds IS to it's f1.7

The Oly is just a little smaller and easy to carry around on or off the cam and can just make a difference between taking it out for the evening, (versus a small P & S), or not

The EP is a classic - so get the 17mm to go with it
    The 20mm is a must, (I did not believe this until I got one) - so you need that - as I said it appears to be able to do anything

From one extreme to another

From THIS - (from Brian)

[​IMG]

To THIS - (from me)

[​IMG]

9. topkop

topkop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2010
    Oberlin, OH
    Thanks a lot, everyone.
    For now, I think I'll go with the 20mm and hopefully I can add the 17mm and probably other m43 lenses to my collection. :thumbup:

10. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    topkop

have a look at the images on the following thread

here

11. topkop

topkop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2010
    Oberlin, OH
    Thanks, Bill. 20mm sure is one fantastic lens.
    As soon as I sell my Canon G11, the lens will be mine.