Panny 20 vs. MD Rokkor 50 - 1 shot each

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Alanroseman, May 25, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Folks,

Finally and at last we had some sun in New England. I walked out to the garden with my wife to take a photo of the Irises. Toting my GF1 with the 20mm mounted. I Had my small carry bag which included the MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7.

Made an image from each lens. Of course I had to step in some to match the frame size with the 20mm "a walking zoom".

Here you are, MD Rokkor circa 1970 vs. Panny 20mm circa 2010. So, $500. vs. $75.

Panasonic 20mm

Panny_20mm.

MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7

MD_Rokkor_50mm_1_7.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Interesting comparison! Very similar colors and sharpness at this output size.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Yup. Interesting at the very least. The old Rokkors were always under rated..always. Still are I think.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nice comparison of different focal lengths. Quick, better add a conclusion before Gary sees this :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Nic,

I conclude that Gary will complain as soon as he see it. :biggrin:

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    both shots wide open at f1.7?

7. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Good question.

In my complete and scientific methodology for this comprehensive test series of two clicks. I didn't actually note the aperture.... :biggrin:

The Panny was at 1.7, the Rokkor was at (I had to retrieve it from my bag) f2.0. I may have to do this again tomorrow.... both at 1.7

Alan

8. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Alan,

They are both quite beautiful captures.

I think I like the Bokeh and soft edges of focus on the blossom a bit better for the Rokkor. But that could just be background and the way it was held.

It goes to show that what you have in your mind is more important than what you have in your hand.

-Steve

9. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thanks Steve.

You know i can't stop fiddling with some f my old lenses. It was a "part" of the attraction to this format for me.

I've taken pictures of my grandchildren with a lens I bought when I was 18 years old. That's pretty cool in and of itself.

And it's nice to see they can still do their thing after all those years on the shelf. I'm not remotely suggesting anyone consider selling a 20 to buy an old or manual lens, though you'd have enough dough left over for a couple of new tires, just pointing out that one doesn't need a Voightlander Nokton .95 to make some nice images in manual mode with their m43. No knock on the Nokton by the way, it's a wonderful lens from the images I've seen.

Thanks for noticing.. Alan

• Like Like x 1
  10. dee

dee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2010
    London Far South
    I bought my Leica Digilux 3 purely to use my Rokkors . They have always been different from other camera lenses . The 135 f3.5 used at infinity [ no focus error ] is amazing
    Now my G1 benefits from the same 24 / 28 / 35 f1.8 / 45 / 50 f1.7 / 1.4 / 55 SR / 85f1.7 lenses .
    Those shots bear out my confidence - thanks !
    Still uncertain about that EVF though !
    [ a 35 f2.5 CV Color Scopar is great too ! ]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Dee,

Yes, though all the years and all the cameras and lenses, I retain a distinct fondness for the Rokkors. I just never thought I'd get to use them again.

How is the 24mm? Have any sample images?

Did you notice this thread? : https://www.mu-43.com/f40/real-world-comparo-lens-vs-lens-vs-lens-vs-lens-12205/

Be sure to visit the Mobile me site which all of the images, in much higher resolution.
    Thanks for noticing. Alan

12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Why does everyone use blooming flowers!

I find I get better results photographing bottles of beer. And I find empty bottles work better than full ones. AF is required then.

13. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I tried your method using bottle of Basil Hayden Bourbon... filled than half filled etc.

Toward the end, the bottles couldn't be located.. AF wouldn't have mattered. The flowers don't give me a headache either..

Alan

14. sabrelli

sabrelli Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 4, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice comparison!

15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Ah, you are a man of discerning taste. Both the Rokkors, and the Basil Hayden create a lovely bokeh. :rofl:

16. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Ahhh, finally someone understands... enough BAsil Hayden and everything has a buttery bokeh.... everything. :thumbup:

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Which lens auto-focus faster?
    G

18. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Agreed! I love my Rokkors (3 of 'em including a 50mm f1.4) and use them often with my Oly 4/3 gear. (Don't have a m-43 body yet). And even though it is challenging (to say the least) to manually focus on the E-420, E-620 and even my E-5... they do make some wonderful looking images on those cameras... as long as you're not in a hurry!

Anxious to try them with m-43.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Gary,

Even after several sips. I made some observations.

Panny 20 AF faster.

$65.00 Rokkor finished in a dead heat with the $1000. Nokton for Af speed.

20. mrroms

mrroms Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Quick question if I may:
    What do I need to fit the 50mm f/1.4 Rokkor-X MC on my GF-1? I do have the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter but I'm lost after that. Also, will the MF assist screen on my GF-1 work with the Rokkor? Thanks in advance.