1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny 14mm + WA vs Oly 9-18

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bwidjaja, Jun 13, 2012.

1. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    In my quest to reshuffle my lens line up, I am debating whether to keep the 9-18 that I like for its versatility vs having the option of walking around with a tiny pancake on my E-PM1.

Ideally, I would like to have the Oly 12mm, but it is too expensive, may not worth the extra cost compared to 14mm, and not a pancake.

Oly 9-18 is versatile, albeit too slow at times, especially on the longer end. I have learned to like the 28mm FOV, but needs a wider angle from time to time.

So the thinking goes, if I have the 14mm, I can use it as a small take anytime P&S that is close enough to the longer end of the Oly 9-18.
    At the same time, i have the option of using the WA converter to get much wider FOV with less overall cost compared to the Oly lens.

Opinions and suggestions are appreciated. Especially if any comparison between the combo and zoom.

2. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    then this was unuseful info

3. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I went with the 9-18 because I didn't see an easy and elegant way to use filters on the 7-14.

I imagine the build quality is much nicer on the 7-14 but you do get more lightness and much more compactness on the 9-18.

I can't imagine having a wide angle lens that can't use filters.

4. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Perhaps I should specify that the combination I am comparing is:
    Panny 14mm + Panny DMC-GWC1 (0.79x)
    vs
    Oly 9-18m lens