1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

panny 14mm question...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Ok, I have the Olympus epl-2 with the 14-42 and find the I use the 14mm end most often. So I would like to get the Panny 14mm, but, the cost new is a bit out of my range at this point. I have read here about some getting them off ebay from China I think. I have never done this so I am asking anyone that has purchased one, where did they get it and from who.

Thank you all for the info,

Randy

2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I purchased mine from eBay seller "nomohideo2005" - looks like they have the lens in stock and shipped from the US. These are lenses that originally came as the kit lens with a Panasonic camera, and the seller is listing the lens and camera body separately.

Here's a current 14mm listing

3. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
  4. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I have another (but closely related) question:

I too noticed I am using my (Panasonic) 14-42 kit zoom mostly at 14mm (thanks to Lightroom filters!) on my G3.

BUT - (apart from very small size and an extra stop of speed), is there any/much IQ benefit in using the Panansonic 14mm f2.5 prime lense instead of the kit lens at 14mm?

In other words, will I actually notice better IQ in my photographs?

Any experience/opinions out there? The lense doesn't seem to hold its second hand value that well, which makes me a bit suspicious, but I'd be happy to be shown to be wrong! :smile:

Thanks

5. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Thank you for the answers everyone. I will check them all out.

I want the 14mm for the small size. That is about it.

Randy

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Those are 2 very huge pluses for this lens. I used it as the only lens when I didn't want to bring too much stuff with me , especially in the evening. It is one of the few lenses that together with a small body can truly make the package portable/pocketable. However if these considerations are not important to you and you won't make use of it, then it's just not a lens for you.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Absolutely! The tiny size of this lens makes it very handy and the extra stop is a huge bonus in poor lighting. It also became my main pancake lens so that I could sell the 20mm and buy a 25mm. :cool:

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I just took delivery this week from an EBay seller, 2011fashionpie:

eBay My World - 2011fashionpie

Service was excellent, price was $170 or so, free shipping. Took a couple of weeks to get across the pond, but was kept "in the loop" by messages from the seller. Hurricane Sandy apparently had some effect on shipping speed even though it hit on the east coast.

The lens is new, but NOT in the original box and did NOT come with the Panasonic lens bag. The reason is that the lens was part of a camera kit that the seller(s) break open and sell as individual bits and pieces. The upside is the price, which was a hundred dollars lower than suggested retail.

Be advised - warranty service from Panasonic may be an issue if something goes wrong with the lens, since it was purchased "out of a kit", not retail packaging.

I would (and did) purchase only from a top ranked Ebay reseller on at item such as this.

(BTW - I think I've fallen in love with this tiny, lightweight workhorse of a lens. Faster than the 12-50 kit lens and much lighter and smaller. Test images have been fine so far.)

HTH,

Jim

9. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    OK, thanks. I have just bought the p20 so maybe I'll stick with that for a while and see if I feel the need for a wider lens as well...
    Must resist the urge to keep buying more kit, haven't even used what I've got that much yet!

Cheers

Rob

Sent from my VegaBean Beta 6 using Tapatalk 2