Panny 14mm focus issues

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jman, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I picked up the 14mm pancake last week, and while it's a nice little lens, I'm experiencing odd, reproducible focus issues. If the focus point is on the center spot on my GH2, it is fine, but when moved anywhere else, it will focus on near items even when the focus point is on something behind, often even if the focus point is SIGNIFICANTLY away from the near item. With my 25/1.4, (or any other lens) it will focus with pinpoint accuracy. I have had big misses, even when I recognize it on the screen, and in these cases, it is impossible to focus on the more distant subject unless I completely move the camera or change to the center point.

For instance, I was taking a picture of my wife and daughter playing, and my wife was on the left side of the frame, my daughter was on the right, and i was angled so that my wife was about 3 feet closer to me. I focused on my daughter, with the focus point placed right on her eye, and all the shots were focused on my wife.

Is this a problem with my lens, or the 14mm in general? I have checked all settings and everything is right, and all other lenses work perfectly...only the 14 has this issue.

2. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    I've been using the 14 on my E-P1 and E-PL2 and have had no issues. Might be a software problem with yours. Did you buy it new? Can you exchange it?

I'm not real familiar with the Panny cameras, so maybe someone else can chime in to help you more.