1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny 14mm almost here (US)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by carpandean, Dec 22, 2010.

1. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Just got an order update from Amazon:
    Then, I checked their product page:

2. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    I had a pleasant surprise for christmas today to find out my family ordered the lens for me as a gift.

That will make a nice fun small kit with my 20mm and the gf1!

Did anyone else pre-order or receive an order as a gift?

3. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I pre-ordered the 14mm also and will be using it on the GF1 along with the 20mm. Amazon says I could get it 12/29. They must already have it as the order is now fixed and can't be changed and they are referring to 12/27 as the "release" date. Anyway, it should form a real nice kit. This all has a wonderful retro feel. I remember back in the 80's backpacking around Mt.Rainier with a Minolta SLR and both a 28mm and 50mm lens - the perfect combination for such a trip.

4. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I will be interested in seeing the image quality of this lens. Having 14mm covered twice already with the Panasonic 7-14mm and the Panasonic 14-45mm, I was not jumping on getting this lens unless it shows a big step up in image quality over the others. I am also interested in the Olympus 12mm that is on their 2011 release plan. So it will be interesting to see how good the 14mm is.

5. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I can't decide, given that I intend to buy either the 12mm or 15mm Voigtlander (which would be useful on both my Leica and my GF1) whether this is a good fit for the arsenal or whether I should just save up for the 7-14.

6. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    The 7-14 is very good. 14mm is it's weakest focal length from tests on slrgear.com. My testing says even at 14mm at f/5.6 it is very good. The one big advantage of the 14mm is that it could take filters, which the 7-14mm is not good at.

7. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I'd say that the biggest advantages that the 14mm f/2.5 has over 14mm from any of the other lenses are:

1) Faster - at 2.5, it's a full stop or more faster (3.54 is a full stop above) than the 7-14, 9-18, 14-42(s), 14-45, 14-140, or 14-150mm;

2) Smaller - this is the smallest :43: lens built to date.

There is an expectation that primes generally perform better optically than zooms at a specific focal length, but we'll see if the size resulted in a compromise there.

8. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    The early reviews say that the center sharpness is quite good, corners lack a bit, and they used the term "Monstrous" to describe the barrel distortion in RAW files, they also said it has heavy vignetting.

Honestly I don't think I really care too much about any of those issues. Center sharpness is all I am really concerned about with this camera. I'm not shooting grand landscapes or using it in a professional capacity. It's my "fun" camera and as long as I'm getting sharp pictures for my use, then I'm happy. :D

9. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    B&H says approximate arrival January for this and February for the GF2.

10. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I am also thinking of waiting for the olympus 12mm, I get much better prices on olympus gear and got the 9-18 for the meantime....

11. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    Amazon is now showing the lens IN STOCK with delivery by 12/28 if you chose overnight delivery and 12/29 with Prime two day delivery.

12. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    I noticed that! I hope that means those of us that already ordered won't have to wait and people that order today will get it first ;)

13. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    Panasonic 14mm is here

Panasonic_14mm.
    Recieved the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 yesterday and have been trying it out on the GF1. Here is a shot taken just outside the back door. It seems sharp, focuses very quickly, and I don't notice any problem areas. Amazingly small and light weight package yet of the same build quality as the 20mm f1.7. Should be a great addition and am especially looking forward to using it on hikes in the woods, along with the 20mm. It looks great on the GF1.

• Like Like x 1
  14. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Stupid free Super Saver Shipping option with Amazon; I'm still waiting ...

15. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for sharing. I enjoy my 20 on walks, and the 14 is looking like a nice addition. I suppose if you add the 45/2.8 you end up with the 3 classic primes...

• Like Like x 2
  16. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I retract my previous statement. The mailman was late and my 14mm just arrived!

17. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    Bah! What the heck I'm still waiting :(

Mine arrived in Chino, CA then spent the whole day coming back to Chino, and now it's MIA. There's no update as to where it is currently.

Looks like I have to wait until the 4th. This sucks!!

18. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    One thing that I haven't seen mention of (though, admittedly, I have mostly skimmed the reviews) is that Panasonic did a nice job of minimizing the accessories that come with the 14mm. Despite having the same mount (obviously) and same filter thread size, it got new, smaller lens and mount caps. In fact, the difference is so much that the 20mm lens with the 14mm's caps is smaller than the 14mm lens with the 20mm caps. If I'm going for super small kit, then whichever lens isn't on the body will get the 14mm's mount cap. Would be nice to have a second smaller lens cap, too, but probably not worth the effort or money.

19. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    I don't remember where I read that, but I did read they shrunk the front and rear caps.

So! Impressions?? Come on guys, I'm waiting anxiously! I wish mine was here!!! I was hoping it would be here for New Years.

20. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    Salvation! Mine arrived today unexpectedly! It was shipped to my parents' since they're the ones that ordered it for me, they're bringing it with them tonight since they are coming my way for New Years'.

Excited!!

Edit: I got it! Woohoo! Man this is one tiny lens for sure. I shot a bit with it tonight at my uncles house for New Years' but I will be shooting more this weekend.