1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny 14 2.5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by swampduck, Apr 22, 2013.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I just purchased this used...looking at the thread for this lens I don't see the excessive vignetting, is this what other users are experiencing as well? This will be my first Prime, so I am really looking forward to it.

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I use this lens wide open very often and don't see any vignetting. Here's a thread I posted (and added to recently), all photos shot with the 14/2.5 at f/2.5. (All vignetting was added in PP.)

https://www.mu-43.com/f88/second-attempt-car-shots-44010/

3. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Since you already have the lens I don't think you'll regret the purchase. It's a great walkabout lens; the vignetting with Oly bodies is corrected in software (I don't know if it's with JPEGs only or with RAWs as well), but not sure to what extent. Try experimenting with the "shading compensation" setting somewhere in the gears menu. Vignetting usually goes away at smaller apertures anyway. There are better lenses for critical work, sharpness etc, but overall, personally I'm very happy with it and with its tiny size, decent speed (both aperture and AF) and low price I'm not bothered by what any reviews / user reports say. It's not perfect but it's more than good enough. The shots I did with it (mostly touristy stuff so far, well lit) I quite liked and that's all I care for.

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I shoot RAW and haven't seen vignetting, so it appears to be corrected in RAW as well. I must have misunderstood the OP's post. I though the OP was saying the lens was vignetting.... My bad. :smile:

5. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Don't worry about vignetting. In the rare occasions where it is obvious it is often pleasant. On the even rarer occasions when it is obvious and not pleasant, it can be easily fixed.

I enjoy this lens very much. It is the one on my camera most of the time.

P.

6. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Thanks for the info. I am awaiting the person I am buying lens from as I write this

7. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    A absolute gem of a lens.

8. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Just got one

...and I'm looking forward to using it more. Looks sharp and contrasty enough at first blush.

Attached Files:

9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The 14/2.5 is an extremely underrated, sharp, fast and compact prime lens.

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This really is a surprising little lens - lots of bang for your bucks! :biggrin:

11. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I got the lens it is so sharp I love it cant wait to get out and shoot some real pics

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'm with the OP on this one. I definitely notice vignetting when shooting wide open with the 14mm. Reduces as it's stopped down though. I'm using LR and I did not notice the vignetting being corrected with LR.

13. Falcon468

Falcon468 New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2013
    My first post, thanks. I just returned from China using my new GX1. I took three lens, the P14, P20 and the O45. I left the kit lens and the P25 at home due to space limitations. Of the three lens, I used the P14 for all of about five of the 403 pictures I took. I also have the EVF and used that for the first time (wonderful addition). In almost every case, day or night, using the bright lights of Shanghai, the P14 worked as well as my Nikon D7000, with a 35mm 1.8, did the year before, in fact better. I am headed to the Keys this weekend where there will be a ton of light, and I plan on taking the same three lens with me. I really enjoyed the P14 and was surprised at how good it worked.

14. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

I shoot wideopen with it all the time, and see little if any vignetting.

15. treetop flyer

treetop flyer Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2013
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Just returned from a week in Ireland. The 14mm worked perfectly. Sharp, great colors and SMALL. The OMD and 14mm are nearly invisible!

I think you'll really enjoy it...

Treetop