Panny 14/2.5 vs my kit lens question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kgeissler, Apr 16, 2014.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I have the Olympus 14-42EZ pancake lens with my E-M10. I like to shoot nature/landscape photography. Would I see any significant improvement in image quality going to a prime lens like the 14/2.5? Should I get a different prime lens like the Oly 17/1.8? Should I stick with the 14-42? I don't want to spend more than $500 on a lens, but I am not sure the image quality would improve that much. Can someone help a lens newbie out?

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa

I have the 14-45, the 14-42 and the 14 f2.5

I can not see anything significant in image quality between them. To me the 14f2.5 is a sensible lens on a compact camera (like a GF) but has little significant size benefits on an SLR-alike (such as my GH).

Personally I'd be inclined to pick up a used 7-14zoom from KEH and get something wider.
  3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    IQ will be about the same. 14 2.5 has two advantages: It's one stop faster and it makes the camera pocketable. Many times the one stop benefit means that you can shoot ISO 1600 when you would need 3200 with the kit zoom.
  4. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    Probably not much difference to be honest, the EZ pancake is almost as small and one stop slower. As previous posters said, probably negligible difference in image quality. Unless you dislike the kit pancake for any reason (i.e the way it extends for use, handling), I'd say stick with it and if you wanted to spend some money on another lens you would get better bang for buck with a f/1.8 prime or a wide angle prime. I wouldn't buy anything until you find you are limited by what you currently have
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Landscapes often require sharpness corner-to-corner and you may want a variable focal length.
    For your task I usually recommend the ancient Lumix 14-45 kit zoom, very sharp, everywhere.
    but the new collapsible Lumix 12-32 is wider and tiny and might be what you want.
    Initially you should do some tests to determine how good your own lens is, and what you aspire to.