1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny 14-140 v. Oly 14-150

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Rider, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Can anyone comment on the differences between these two lenses?

I am aware that only the Panasonic has image stabilization. Are there any other striking differences? I am very interested in AF performance (speed, silence, no hunting.)

The Oly is substantially less expensive at the moment, although the Panasonic is not a bad deal bundled with a body.

2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    DPR has reviewed both and the Pany is slightly better optically according to the tests, it is also very quiet for video work and has OIS a big plus, its worth the extra money from that stand point.

However the Oly on a Pen would be excellent as its very light and the body has IBIS the image quality would satisfy most people.

Suggest you read the PDR review(s)

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

4. Jackson Miller

Jackson Miller Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2010
    If you are planning on doing video at all, go with the panny. it is specifically optimized for video in a number of ways.

5. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Thinking of getting the 14-140 as a bundle with the GH1 or GH2... Nah, too crazy.

6. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Why is the Panny so expensive? Is it just the video cred, or is it that much sharper of a lens or is it just the desirable range? It's certainly not fast. I'm thinking of getting a GH1 or GH2 and wondering if I should get bundled with this lens but I'm curious what all the fuss is about :)

7. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    It's expensive compared to what?

8. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Panasonic's strength is in its work with video. The focusing motor is silent and its silence will be appreciated when you are recording video with audio. Panasonic sells some lenses that don't have this silent motor feature and you will notice its absence and I presume the same would be true with the Olympus. Close focusing distance the Panasonic is 0.5 m while the Olympus is 0.9 m. The Olympus is quite a bit lighter at 190 gm while the Panasonic is 460 gm. So if you need the video and closeup focusing capability, it looks like the Panasonic might be worth the extra money. But if you value the light weight, then it is the Olympus.

I have the Panasonic, but sometimes I wish it were a bit lighter. But I have grown to love having a 10:1 zoom.

Brian

9. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    The focus motor is very quiet and the aperture is step less this is for video requirments.
    Optically its a little better the the Equiv. Oly lens it also has built in OIS which is costly to implement

As for speed well its what you would expect considering overall size and weight for 10X zoom

10. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
  11. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    It's not that much more expensive than equivalent lenses from Canon and Nikon. These are around $600. The Panasonic is around $750.

The reviews suggest it is sharper than most, if not all, DSLR super-zooms. As others have noted, it is also optimised for video with near-silent focus and smooth changes in aperture as you zoom in/out. I think this is where the extra cost comes from.

Super zooms (i.e. 10x or more) usually start at f/3.5 or f/4 aperture so the Panasonic is comparable. It is supposed to be a very fast focusing lens.

Depends on what you plan to do with the camera. If you're buying it for video, then I think it would be worthwhile.

• Like Like x 1