1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panny 12mm f/1.7 ... sort of

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by carpandean, Dec 21, 2010.

1. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I was looking through some of the "pieces" that I acquired to try and make my G12 into a pseudo-interchangeable lens camera (obviously, it didn't satisfy my needs) and found my nice Century Optics 0.6X wide angle lens. I tried to hand-hold it over some of my lenses, but found that I couldn't get it to focus properly without holding it 4-12 inches away, depending on the focal length. Then, I remember my Century Optics +2 Achromatic Diopter (yes, I went a little crazy on Ebay; though, I did get good deals on everything.) I held it up front and, voila, it worked. Unfortunately, it came with a 37mm-58mm step-up ring, so until I can get a 46mm-58mm step-up ring, it will remain hand held.

Here's the setup:

12mmf1_7FE-Camera-small.
    Canon PowerShot G12    ---    18mm    f/4.0    1/6s    ISO 800

The original (20mm f/1.7) FOV:

20mmf1_7-small.

The new (pseudo-12mm f/1.7) FOV:

12mmf1_7FE-small.

Don't judge the photo quality yet, as I was holding the two parts together and focusing with my pinky. Plus, the curtain actually was coming down in a curve. Oh, and I may have had it tipped up slightly relative to the camera, because there is some distortion at the bottom, but almost none up top.

Once I get the right adapter, I'll post some real shots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.