1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny 12-35 weather sealed experience.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zukes_shoots, Jul 3, 2013.

1. zukes_shoots

zukes_shoots New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2012
    Recently purchased the 12-35 to accompany my EM5. Was wondering just how weather resistant/proof the lens is. Leaving for a trip and would like to know what kind of conditions I can go into. Please share your experience or a link(s) to others user experience.

Cheers

2. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I have been shooting with it in Iceland recently. It got wet a few times and never missed a beat.

3. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    How about extremely humid conditions? I just recently shot in vietnam during the summer and the change in humidity from indoors to outdoors was very extreme. My 5d2 and 16-35mm lens fogged up like crazy and I wasn't able to shoot for a good hour. I know the ziplock bag trick but didn't think it was needed. Boy was I wrong.

I'm also pondering picking up a 12-35mm plus a pancake instead of a set of primes.

4. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I bought the 12-35 for walk-around travel shooting. The IQ is excellent.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    This type of weatherproofing won't do anything for this type of condensation. You need to keep your cold camera from condensing the humidity in the air outside, hence the plastic bag. You could try keeping the camera against your body when not in use (inside a shirt/jacket?) to keep the temperature up. Keeping it in the middle of your backpack can help reduce the camera heating up as much.

I have gently hosed my E-M5 with the 12-35 attached. I use it without hesitation in heavy rain. I've shot for days in rain forests. No problems.

Gordon

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    sucks i dont have any images here with me, but ive shot with this lens under the rain, not light rain, but proper rain, i took it for my trip to patagonia, glaciers, swamps, tundra, wind, bla bla bla....NO PROBLEM.

ill try to put find some images of the camera and lens under the rain or IN a river for a long exposure.

7. String

String Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Canada
    Brian
    I've used mine (on an EM-5) in light rain (camera/lens were soaked after about 30min) with no issues. I've also used it in -35C during a snow storm with no issues (other than a VERY short battery life).

8. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
  9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    This is great to know! Thanks for all the people posting real-world experiences/pictures!! :)