Panny 12-35 on OMD, any experience?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chronos, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Hey folks.

So i am contemplating dropping the money and picking up the 12-35 and 35-100 2.8(when released) lenses from panasonic.

I read one forum post by a user who claimed the CA were horrible on this combination. The pics are all no longer visible, and i have not seen much else about this.

Does anybody have the 12-35 f/2.8 for the OMD? and if so, what is your experience with this combination? are the chromatic abberations nearly as bad as this one user claimed? have you had any issues with this?

Generally i shoot everything raw, and i shoot into the sun quite often with my timelapse. Correcting CA is not a big deal in post i suppose, but i would like to hear more about it.

Thank you!

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    CA, as with most other internet discussion, was blown out of proportion and is a non-issue. If you haven't already, there are plenty of great examples of photos taken with this combo in this thread:

https://www.mu-43.com/f80/panasonic-12-35mm-x-f-2-8-image-thread-28300/

I've personally had no issues at all with CA with this lens...or at least nothing more than any other lens. The only thing I would suggest is using the OMD's grip (if you have it) with the 12-35, as it balances much nicer that way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    THank you, that is just what i was hoping to hear. Things like this do tend to get a bit sensationalized. I suppose i just needed somebody to reassure me.

I am planning to boost my 43 collection by quite a bit. I do lots of timelapse and i like to have a backup camera to play around with while running timelapses. I plan to sell my nikon gear off and get the 12-35 and 35-100(when they release it) a battery grip, and another OMD. That is about 4 grand, and i did not want any nasty suprises,

:)

4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    True points. I have LR set to correct CA on import but set low and I don't see it much anyways. My worst experience in this regard has only been with the 7-14mm.

I use the lens as my primary now on the EM-5. It works very well, great wide open. Sharp across the frame @ f/4.0 which is great too. Here is a link to a set on flickr Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 - a set on Flickr. I'm pretty sure all of them are on the EM-5 maybe one or two on the GX1. It's great to have a zoom that to my eyes is as sharp as my primes.

Also agree about the grip usage. Both portions usually stay on my camera though. The size doesn't bother me.

5. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    The only difference, as far as I understand, is in shooting JPEGs--since CA is corrected in the JPEG engine on Panasonic bodies, but not Olympus bodies. If you shoot RAW, you'll have to correct it in PP whichever body you use.

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I picked up the 12-35 for my OM-D during the recent rebates. Like Joe, I have been really pleased with the sharpness at F4 and, since I am mostly doing landscapes with it, this is were the lens stays. It could be part of the reason why I don't notice any CA issues.

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I use this lens on my OMD and the lens is nothing but a stunning piece of glass. there should be some CA as with most pana lenses on Oly bodies. BUT believe or not at least on my copy of the lens i havent corrected more than one or two images during a month or so of use so far!. this is really a nice piece of glass. cant stop recommending it.

8. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I rented it and will likely purchase. I've shot quite a bit with the Zuiko 12-60 and really love that lens. It's the one thing I really miss about m43. I think the 12-35 is very close optically and in terms of size it's a better mate with the E-M5. The 12-60 is a real chunk of glass in comparison. Perhaps I'm old and my eyes are bad but I've not seen significant issues with CA either. I would prefer a lens with more extension would trade the constant aperture for more zoom range.

9. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Chromatic abberation here

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review

I was a little disappointed with this review. The 12-60 came out slightly better in image quality.
    They recommend the 12-35 if you want stabilization, fast focus and less weight.

10. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I took that review with a grain of salt when I first saw it. I have over 2000 images on my hard drive that don't show significant signs of CA. 12-60 would be a great overall length to have but snail-slow focus is something I can't live with. After reading again I notice he had a pre-production copy, which could make a difference?

11. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    These are generally the things I look for a lens, even if they are of slightly inferior iq, although I believe this is subjective based on so many variables.

12. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Love this combo - it's my evening event go-to lens on the OMD. With a medium fast ISO, a little fill flash, and a low aperture I'm capturing some great images. So much so, that I'm currently budgeting for the 35-100 as a complement next month. With my Oly 75-300 to round out this proposed trio, I'd have coverage for most anything I generally would come up against.

13. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Awesome! I pulled the trigger on one this morning, should be here by monday. IM hoping to pick up another OMD for backup plus the 35-100 in the next few weeks.

14. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    I got my 12-35 in today along with the grip. So far i like it. The lens feels nice and solid. Testing it out I can force some CA, ill have to shoot some more and see how it pans out.

15. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Nope. Haven't seen any since the 4th of July. Taken long exposure night shots but that's about it.

16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I recently got the 12-35 for my OMD and I do get quite a bit of CA. I think that is to be as expected as I live in Thailand where the light is conducive to CA. It isnt a problem for me as I shoot RAW.

For those who shoot jpeg I would recommend DXO optics pro. It has a jpeg module for the OMD for jpegs with the Panny 12-35mm which automatically corrects CA amongst other things and has a very simple one button batch processing. DXO Pro optics 8 (just out) is US$99 which isnt much considering the cost of the lens.

17. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    For those using the 12-35, do you have a UV/protective filter on it?

18. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Only an ND filter to drag out the shutter..

19. photographer-for-life

photographer-for-life Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2011
    Always and on every lens I've ever owned. Protection against falls etc. either Olympus, Panasonic, or B+W. The Lumix 12-35 is now my favorite. The primes are used, when I need "more light". The Lumix 35-100 is hopefully next.

20. akhyar

akhyar Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    Always with protective filter as this lens is my walkabout lens