1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny 12-35, my amateur, superficial impressions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by D@ne, Jul 5, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    First off, I have to say that the "gunmetal" finish is quite nice in person, more so than the pictures lead you to believe. My superficial self was a bit worried that it would look ugly on the silver e-m5, but it looks fine.

The lens is the size I thought it would be, but it's pretty heavy compared to the tiny primes I've grown accustom to. Thinking the grip would be nice to own when this lens is attached, but it's far from unwieldy.

The zoom ring is fairly stiff at this point...definitely won't be any creep in the foreseeable future.

Pictures are great thus far, just playing around the house. Focus is fast, typical for all the m43 lenses I've used.

I'm a bit disappointed that there's a speck of dust (or something) between some of the rear elements. I can't see it in pictures, but it is a bit annoying to spend this kind of money on a lens and see dust inside. Is this something that can be removed in servicing? I don't have the option of return (bought on ebay).

I like the range this lens gives...12 is quite a bit wider than I had expected, and even gives a bit of "fisheye" like look when viewing through the finder. 12 is the widest lens I've used (pana 14 prior to this).

Overall I'm pleased with the lens. I wish I didn't have to pay so much for it, but that's what you get for being impatient.

• Like Like x 2
  2. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Did you contact the seller about the dust?

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    No, as I assumed it was Panasonic's doing. It's not a huge deal, I was just curious if it's something that can be serviced.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It can be removed by servicing, but I don't think it would be covered under warranty.

Here's my experience with internal dust:

1) Most lenses have some if I look carefully. This includes >$1000 Canon L lenses, >$1000 Nikon lenses, and >$3000 Leica lenses

2) It doesn't affect results.

3) It doesn't affect resale value. I always disclose dust when I sell, because the last thing I want is to go through the hassle of a return, and I've never had any problem selling for the same price I would expect to sell for without dust.

In conclusion, dust doesn't bother me unless there's a LOT of it, which only happened to me with one lens, the Canon 17-55/2.8 IS. Even in that case I don't think it affected results or resale value, but there was a ton of dust in that $1100 lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's possible. OTOH, I've had repairs done where they introduced dust. Then there's the issue of how long a repair takes (particularly given Panasonic's record). Unless you're concerned about resale value, I'd just ignore the dust.

12mm is definitely wider than 14mm, and perspective distortion is part of that.

Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your new lens,

DH

• Like Like x 1
  6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Thank you both...just wanted a little confirmation so I don't have to worry.

It's nice to have a fast zoom...feels reassuring that you have more versatility when using as a walkabout lens.

7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    D@ne... The 12mm starting point is one of the major draws to this lens for me. I don't view 14mm as being much of a wide angle, personally, so having a high quality mid range zoom that starts at 12mm AND with constant f/2.8 aperture really appeals to me. Of course having more reach than 35mm would be nice, but I'd prefer shorter range and higher IQ than longer range and lower IQ (12-50 lens). I should have the 12-35 tomorrow morning and I'm eager to check it out.

The rumored 12-60 might possibly replace this 12-35 for me; we'll just have to see how good it is.

• Like Like x 1
  8. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Upon further testing, this is what I've found:

mc3lh1.

1eovns.

Thoughts? I've never returned anything to an ebay seller before...huge hassle?

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    What did you do in that test?

10. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Took a pic of the sky...out of focus...f22...then I tinted it and turned up the contrast (in Lightroom).

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If that's what you need to do to see the spec of dust, I don't think I'd worry about it. How about a pic of the sky with the lens focused at infinity, and not manipulated? If you can see it then, I might worry.

12. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    No hassle, just a bit of waiting.

First contact the seller, if a negative response or no response after a few days contact Ebay Customer Support.

Customer Support.

Here's some information that might help
    If you already tried contacting the seller but couldn't resolve the issue, your purchase may be covered by eBay Buyer Protection.

To get started, click an option that describes the problem:
    You didn't receive your item.
    Your item doesn't match the seller's description.
    You need information on a case you already opened.
    Purchases that meet certain conditions are covered by eBay Buyer Protection. If you already opened a case with PayPal, contact PayPal Customer Service for help.

You will have to wait 10 days for a resolution by Ebay, unless the seller responds with a satisfactory solution. If not you will wait another 2-3 days for Ebay to make a decision.

If the seller didn't mention "dust or mark in the lens" on the listing you are in very good shape to get all your money back through Ebay/Paypal.

By the way, it looks more like something on the image sensor to me. I had the same looking marks on a Nikon's images and it was on the sensor.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    As a first step, I would check the eBay seller's stated return policy on the auction page.

Yes, that center spot does look like a spot of dust on the sensor - usually easily remedied.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Dust in the lens won't make a spot like that. Even a bit of dust on the outside of the rear element won't do that.

I agree with Joe and Don. Looks like a bit of dust on your sensor. Most MFT cameras that have seen use will show a bit of sensor dust when shooting the sky at f/22. If you want to prove it to yourself, use a rocket blower to knock off the sensor dust and repeat.

15. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    okay, I cleaned the sensor and I think it solved the problem.

When I look at the sensor, it looks spotless (prior to cleaning I mean)...I'm guessing something that's not even visible to the naked eye can create that spot?

ps - thanks so much everyone for patiently helping with this.

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, it can.

17. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Interesting how something on the sensor affects the image, while something only a few mm from the sensor, in the lens, does not.

Anyway. Here's a snapshot of the quality of this lens. 35mm f4.0 ISO200 1/200. Converted from RAW, no processing.

68a7t3.

18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Most folks here are too young to remember when lenses sometimes arrived with a "bubble" in one of the lens elements. :eek: :biggrin:

19. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The focal point is at the sensor, so any artifact at that position will be most noticeable... the farther away from the focal point - out toward and into the lens, toward the front element you go, the less likely a spec of dust or other artifact will be noticeable.

20. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I'd probably have a heart attack. :-\

I'm learning a lot today.