1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panny 12-35 mm 2.8-4.0 or Oly 12-50 mm 3.5-6.3 or wait for Oly 12-60 2.8-4.0?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Bhupinder2002, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Hi Guys
    This is getting more and more interesting . I barely convinced myself to stop with OMD + 12-50 mm but now Panny 12-35 mm 2.8-4.0 is looking damn good lens . I was wondering what some of you will chose as a walkway lens . I like Oly 12-50 mm 3.5 especially it gives decent macro performance but Panny 12-35 2.8 -4.0 has some distinct advantages and looks a terrific lens.The story doesnt end here --enter rumoured Olympus 12-60 mm2.8-4.0 and it becomes more complicated .I was thinking of stop drooling over Panny 12-35 , have some patience and buy Oly 12-60 mm 2.8 -4.0 and Oly 25 mm 1.8 when they are out .Any suggestions ?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The Oly 25/1.8 and 12-60/2.8-4 rumor came from an unproven source, so don't count on it! Fun to ponder though, and we'll know the truth in a few short months...

3. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    When I saw the Pana 12-35, I told myself:
    • it's too short, since I've gotten to like the 12-50's reach
    • it's priced out of my comfort level (not saying it's too expensive)
    • shut up and go shoot, because you just bought an entire new camera system

IF the 12-60 is real, I may have to rethink things. It would have a bit more reach and speed (especially at the far end) than the 12-50. The $400ish price difference puts it in my comfort zone. Plus, I could buy an E-M5 body for my wife and give her the 12-50… :biggrin:

4. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    In this focal range its a very difficult choice. I use the Panasonic 14-45mm at the moment on the OMD and its a stella lens, if it wasnt such a good lens then the Olympus 12-60mm has opened my eyes for sure, which im sure will be aot cheaper than the 12-35mm.

If the Olympus optics are excellent, then it could be on my list to buy, but the 35-100 is the big one im awaiting for, just wish they wouldnt keep bringing out all these new lenses, the MFT format is taking over my wallet!!! :D 

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I am interested to see what the pricing will be on fast-ish zooms. Hopefully there will be an "everyman's" option for the enthusiasts/amateurs priced between the kit zoom and pro zoom.

6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    For me personally there's two compelling reasons to move to the 12-xx lenses from the other native zooms: 1) faster aperture capability and 2) extra 2mm on the wide end and. The 12-35 looks crisp as can be also, but to be fair I've seen sharp results from my Panasonic 14-140 and 14-45 too, so that's not the biggest motivator.

The main feature I'm looking for is the faster aperture, and f/2.8 is still a stop or two below the fast primes I'm used to using for low light situations. Losing another stop to f/4.0 as with the rumored Olympus 12-60 at the far end would be less of a draw in that respect. However, I will say that the 12-60 focal range is more attractive than 12-35 for my uses, based on how I've been using my existing zooms like the 14-45 and 14-140.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    The Panny is a fixed f/2.8, not f/2.8 - 4.0.

Which is the "best" really depends on your usage, and what you need to get out of it.

The Oly is significantly faster, but has a much more constrained zoom range than the 12-50. Which is more important to the way you shoot?

The 12-50 has "macro", although the 12-35 focuses pretty close. Does that matter?

The 12-35 seems to be very, very high quality. OTOH, if all you do is post jpegs to the web it probably doesn't matter.

The 12-60 is vapor, and not worth discussing. If you want a lens now, it's not in the mix. If you want to wait, then worry about the choice after (if) it exists.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.