1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panno of sydney cbd

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by squeegee, May 1, 2011.

1. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Got bored today so went out to take some night pictures. It only took about 2 minutes to take the photos... but then about 1 hour to post process it properly... partially because I'm doing trial and error and undo... but I'm getting a better idea of what to do now, it should take less time as I get better at it.

I don't think picasa will let me display this in it's larger size so I've provided a download link to it too, it's much better in full size than the smaller sizes.

Download Link : Download
    sydney_pano_scaled.

• Like Like x 5
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Man I want to go to sydney

3. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Panoramic

Just seen Squeegee's pan of Sydney - great! I took this one as an experiment about two weeks ago. It's from a hill at the back of where I live (483m) and is made from about six ( I think) shots - hand held - just using the 'Panoramic' mode in my E-PL1 and then processed with Olympus ib. It took about two minutes to stitch them and then, using Photoscape, another ten to retouch one join with the clone stamp, crop to get all the edges lined up and put a frame round it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Golburn River at Thornton

Goulborn_at_Thornton.
    Just love pannos, this one shot on Canon SLR, now looking forward to using my Panasonic cameras and lenses.
    Cheers
    DUD

• Like Like x 2
  5. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I should clarify why it took me so long, in the end I looked at the clock and it was more like 2-3 hours by the time I was finished, not just 1 hour.

Taking the picture was only a couple of minutes.
    Making the panorama was only a couple of minutes (using hugin).

The problem was there was a bush in the bottom right corner, and there were horrible airplane streaks in the sky (not good airplane streaks).

I tried many ways of taking the bush out of the picture because I wanted to retain more water but in the end I half-failed, I was able to take a few branches out and retain an extra 5% of the water but I also lost about 5% of the bottom and right hand edge of the picture because I just had to crop it out.

The airplane streaks were caused because it was 15 second exposures. The streaks looked like scratches in an otherwise nice sky so I had to take those out. I thought it would be easy as they were only 3 pixel high streaks, but because of the pattern / texture of the sky a lot of my first attempts left noticeable marks in the sky - as bad as the original airplane streaks.

So in the end, it was the photo touch-ups that was the time consuming and learning portion, the panorama stitching was the usual, click and it's done.

6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Really pretty, nice post.

I think there may be a line forming to visit Sydney... I'll sit near tc on the plane.

• Like Like x 1