Panning with G9

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Reading through the manual it says to shut down the side to side IS for panning. I had some 'reasonable' success leaving it on, but would like to do better. Who does what? Does turning it off actually help?

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Yes it does. You just have to remember to do it!

I like how Nikon has done it with the new Z series, it is actually lockable as opposed to just off.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Bingo! Memory is the key! I had forgotten all about it until after I was done shooting. I'll need to check and see if it can be assigned, might be worth putting on an F button.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
From the advanced manual. I'm at work so haven't tried it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Panning shots are best with maximum blur

slowing down the shutter speed = more depth of field

more depth of field = more in focus

to maximize the blur recommend using an ND filter

Panning shots are best with maximum blur

slowing down the shutter speed = more depth of field

more depth of field = more in focus

to maximize the blur recommend using an ND filter
Not sure a ND filter is a good idea with something like the 100-400 f6.3, in the UK ime struggling for light most of the time when using fast shutter speeds to freeze movement and wing wing blur.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Not sure a ND filter is a good idea with something like the 100-400 f6.3, in the UK ime struggling for light most of the time when using fast shutter speeds to freeze movement and wing wing blur.
You're using slower shutter speeds for panning shots. Getting panning shots reliably really only works if the object in motion is not changing shape. That's why you see it used most often with cars and bikes; and why an ND filter can help.

This isn't a perfect example because at even at f/4.0, an 18mm lens has a crap load of DoF.

Now consider this one, what if it wasn't at f/11?

From when I was still learning... I asked the 3 guys to do their best to freeze and not pedal as they went by.

You can do panning shots of things that change shape, but there are a whole lotta misses for every one that works.

It will work great with the larger subjects but with smaller birds and the EVF lag and shutter lag, slow shutter panning for BIF i see as a soul-destroying exercise, even with a DSLR it doesnt give the results i want, quiet happy to stick with 1/2000th and over.

P1003194 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Did this one with my D500 at 1/500th didntlike the result

MIK_0459 by electric.mike, on Flickr

I do feel anyone starting BIF with a mirrorless camera going for slow shutter panning is making it very difficult for themselves, it is every one to their own and i would be very interested to see your slow shutter panning BIF results

Edit reading it again i get the feeling you are not saying for things like BIF

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
You guys are really on two different pages. Joel is discussing and displaying shots with motion blur for the background, while Mike uses bokeh for the background (at least in the shots I've seen). You're both correct in your respective assertions.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I set up a custom yesterday for panning at the Dragway using P, small center focus square, Auto ISO with max at 800 (may need to adjust based on the day), center weighted metering. I assigned the stabilizer to F4, the top button near the lens. It comes up in 3 pushes, first time is normal, then panning, then off. Convenient. I was going to try and save panning mode in the custom but then thought it'd be better to be able to switch back and forth without going to the menu.

Also ended up assigning the stabilizer to F4 in manual mode. I like those front buttons, they're easy to find without looking.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom