1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panning with G9

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Brownie, Jun 11, 2019 at 10:11 AM.

1. Brownie

Brownie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2018
    SE Michigan
    Reading through the manual it says to shut down the side to side IS for panning. I had some 'reasonable' success leaving it on, but would like to do better. Who does what? Does turning it off actually help?

2. gwydionjhr

gwydionjhr Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Joel
    Yes it does. You just have to remember to do it!

I like how Nikon has done it with the new Z series, it is actually lockable as opposed to just off.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Brownie

Sep 3, 2018
    SE Michigan
    Bingo! Memory is the key! I had forgotten all about it until after I was done shooting. I'll need to check and see if it can be assigned, might be worth putting on an F button.

4. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    How do you turn the side to side off

5. Brownie

Sep 3, 2018
    SE Michigan
    From the advanced manual. I'm at work so haven't tried it.

G9 pan.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. gwydionjhr

Nov 7, 2017
    Joel
    Panning shots are best with maximum blur

slowing down the shutter speed = more depth of field

more depth of field = more in focus

to maximize the blur recommend using an ND filter

7. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Not sure a ND filter is a good idea with something like the 100-400 f6.3, in the UK ime struggling for light most of the time when using fast shutter speeds to freeze movement and wing wing blur.

8. gwydionjhr

Nov 7, 2017
    Joel
    You're using slower shutter speeds for panning shots. Getting panning shots reliably really only works if the object in motion is not changing shape. That's why you see it used most often with cars and bikes; and why an ND filter can help.

This isn't a perfect example because at even at f/4.0, an 18mm lens has a crap load of DoF.
    _1980107 ba.jpg

Now consider this one, what if it wasn't at f/11?
    P1010793 ba.jpg

From when I was still learning... I asked the 3 guys to do their best to freeze and not pedal as they went by.
    P1330543 b.jpg

You can do panning shots of things that change shape, but there are a whole lotta misses for every one that works.
    Petapalooza Victoria 2018 (137).jpg

9. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    It will work great with the larger subjects but with smaller birds and the EVF lag and shutter lag, slow shutter panning for BIF i see as a soul-destroying exercise, even with a DSLR it doesnt give the results i want, quiet happy to stick with 1/2000th and over.

40913511763_faefe4584f_o.jpg
    P1003194 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Did this one with my D500 at 1/500th didntlike the result

32485432838_be529182b9_o.jpg
    MIK_0459 by electric.mike, on Flickr

I do feel anyone starting BIF with a mirrorless camera going for slow shutter panning is making it very difficult for themselves, it is every one to their own and i would be very interested to see your slow shutter panning BIF results

Edit reading it again i get the feeling you are not saying for things like BIF

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 at 3:30 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Brownie

Sep 3, 2018
    SE Michigan
    You guys are really on two different pages. Joel is discussing and displaying shots with motion blur for the background, while Mike uses bokeh for the background (at least in the shots I've seen). You're both correct in your respective assertions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brownie

Sep 3, 2018
    SE Michigan
    I set up a custom yesterday for panning at the Dragway using P, small center focus square, Auto ISO with max at 800 (may need to adjust based on the day), center weighted metering. I assigned the stabilizer to F4, the top button near the lens. It comes up in 3 pushes, first time is normal, then panning, then off. Convenient. I was going to try and save panning mode in the custom but then thought it'd be better to be able to switch back and forth without going to the menu.

Also ended up assigning the stabilizer to F4 in manual mode. I like those front buttons, they're easy to find without looking.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.