PanLeica 25mm vs Sigma 30mm

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Aside from the difference in focal length. How do the two compare?

AF speed and hunting?
Sharpness?

They are pretty close in $$ (new Sigma vs used PL).

Size is a concern even though this will be on an E-M1 mkII. The size of the PL seems good (I found the O25 f/1.8 almost small. But the Sigma just seems BIG.

Matero

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sorry, I don’t know Sigma, but PL I can recommend. It’s a pity I didn’t acquire it earlier, might have saved me a lot of money going instead a Fuji round.

PL is tack sharp when closing say 2.0-2.8 onwards. I haven’t found issues with hunting, although I’ve not shot in the situations where it’s more likely to occur.

PL can have a little bit rattle, when extra lightning situation. Google and you know what I’m talking about. I think there is way to avoid it, so rarely happened to me, haven’t bothered.

What attracts me most on PL is the character. I really like the images it produces. I’ve found Oly 25 to be maybe too ‘clinical’.

And sorry, I don’t know Sigma

damianmkv

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Having the same dilemma. I used to have the sigma and it was very very good, sharp and quick to focus. But as you say, it's quite big..

Then I was looking at the p25 f1.7 due to price being half the sigma. But people keep saying the F1.4 would be "better" especially as I'm looking for blurring the background

Matero

Mu-43 Top Veteran
PL can have a little bit rattle, when extra lightning situation. Google and you know what I’m talking about. I think there is way to avoid it, so rarely happened to me, haven’t bothered.
In the Olympus bodies, select Flickering - Off and you’re good to go with PL 25 f1.4 without rattles. Just did a little googling :D

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom