1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

PanLeica 25mm vs Sigma 30mm

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by davidzvi, Jan 12, 2019.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Aside from the difference in focal length. How do the two compare?

AF speed and hunting?
    Sharpness?

They are pretty close in $$ (new Sigma vs used PL).

Size is a concern even though this will be on an E-M1 mkII. The size of the PL seems good (I found the O25 f/1.8 almost small. But the Sigma just seems BIG.

2. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Sorry, I don’t know Sigma, but PL I can recommend. It’s a pity I didn’t acquire it earlier, might have saved me a lot of money going instead a Fuji round.

PL is tack sharp when closing say 2.0-2.8 onwards. I haven’t found issues with hunting, although I’ve not shot in the situations where it’s more likely to occur.

PL can have a little bit rattle, when extra lightning situation. Google and you know what I’m talking about. I think there is way to avoid it, so rarely happened to me, haven’t bothered.

What attracts me most on PL is the character. I really like the images it produces. I’ve found Oly 25 to be maybe too ‘clinical’.

And sorry, I don’t know Sigma

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    Having the same dilemma. I used to have the sigma and it was very very good, sharp and quick to focus. But as you say, it's quite big..

Then I was looking at the p25 f1.7 due to price being half the sigma. But people keep saying the F1.4 would be "better" especially as I'm looking for blurring the background

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    In the Olympus bodies, select Flickering - Off and you’re good to go with PL 25 f1.4 without rattles. Just did a little googling :D 

• Useful Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.