Pani Wide Angle Goodness

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jfoco, Feb 13, 2011.

1. jfoco

jfoco Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 27, 2010

Newbie here...

I have the G2 with two lenses. Pani 14-45mm and the 45-200mm, I recently took a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. It was a real Ansel Adams moment for me. :)

I was wondering if someone had any recommendations of shooting some wide angle shots with my existing lenses. Or do I need to buy additional lenses.

Thanks for any input.

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You can stitch a series of images into panoramas in photoshop or other applications.
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The Panasonic 14-45mm lens set to 14 or 15mm is a very good wide angle lens. If you want wider, the Pana 7-14 and Oly 9-18 are both good options. I sold my Pana 7-14, because I rarely want to go wider than 14mm, but your preferences may vary!

4. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    math quiz: FL of a merged image

If I shoot 14mm in 4:3 portrait mode, and overlap three shots by 1/3.. what's the effective FL of the stitched landscape shot? Easy answer is it's 1/3 taller so it's more or less 10mm?
    I'm a lazy, curious guy :confused: who presumes that a dozen others have calculated this, so I hate to spend time re-learning what the group already knows. Thanks!
  5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    It is a little more complicated than that because of the projection. But to simplify the problem, with stitching you just start taking photo on one side where you would like the pano to begin and continue to the other side where you want it to end. Taken with a 20mm lens:

Attached Files:

6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    BTW, I think you have enough to do a good job. You certainly don't need to stitch. You may find that 20mm and longer make for better landscapes. Wide tends to diminish the distant objects.
  7. tedsalt

tedsalt New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    GF1 20mm portrait orientated pics stitched together. RRS L-plate, PCL-1 and maybe a ball head (I forget) on a tripod.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    • Like Like x 2