PANCAKING Lens Adapters?? What Happens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OCULUS, Dec 15, 2012.

1. OCULUS

OCULUS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Albany, NY
    Ray Hull
    A couple of killer Zeiss lenses for my now-sold Rolleiflex 3003 35mm camera remain unsold. I've seen Stephen Gandy's Camera Quest listing for Rollei-to-Oly 4:3 adapters ($149) and wanted to give them a try. Now though, my E-3 is gone and I have only micro 4:3 bodies and so I wondered what would happen if I were to pancake the CameraQuest adapter to my Oly 4:3 to Micro adapter. Anyone have any experience?

I realize I would be in the dark, figuratively on exposure, but am also concerned about the weight of the German brass and glass on those relatively light-weight adapters and the M5 body, much less the PEN.:eek:

16628089-md.

15285732-lg.

Any experience with the Camera Quest adapters would be welcome. Thx,

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    You can stack adapters and they will work. How well they maintain infinity focus depends on the accumulated tolerances.

For example, I have an Olympus MMF-1 and MMF-2, which are the official OM-4/3 and 4/3-M43 adapters. Stacked together, my OM lenses focus slightly past infinity. Still better than my $12 OM-M43 adapter which focuses well past infinity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OCULUS

OCULUS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Albany, NY
    Ray Hull
    Interesting. What about focal lengths? Would that 85 portrait lens become a 170+ tele? Would I loose fisheye on the 16? thx.

4. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Your focal lengths will double. You'll loose the circular field of view on the 16, but likely maintain some distortion. The mount on the camera is pretty robust. I routinely hang a 800g zoom lens off my e-pm1.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The m4/3rds body plus the 4/3rds-to-m4/3rds adapter "become" a 4/3rds body, just like your E-3 used to be.
    Think of it that way.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If you are concerned about the weight, only handle the camera from the lens.

7. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    The adapters will have no impact on the focal length of the lens. Nothing ever does. So the 85mm lens will still be an 85mm lens. Only the angle of view will be different because of the smaller sensor, equivalent to 170mm in 35mm format.

The 16 will still be a 16 (32mm equivalent in 35mm format), but since you are only using the center it will lose most or all of its fisheyeness.

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Well, I've done m4/3 to 4/3, 4/3 to OM, and then OM to T-Mount without issue...but I did eventually get an m4/3 to T-mount to make it a lot easier.

9. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Isn't that hanging the E-pm1 off the lens? :biggrin:

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, gsk3, you have the hierarchy correct. :D And I use heavier lenses than 800g on my Minis.

The nice thing about the 4/3 format is that it was the shortest register of all the SLR mounts. That's what made it so ideal to adapting legacy lenses. Any SLR lenses I have are all adapted to 4/3 first if convenient, then from there to m4/3. Since I also use 4/3 lenses that keeps everything to one consistent mount. Also, it allows me to use the awesome Zuiko teleconverters for 4/3 on all my SLR lenses.

There are a couple exceptions, notably the Konica AR mount and the Minolta MC/MD mount. The Minolta mount is too close to the 4/3 register distance and requires the adapter to be removed with a hex key instead of a bayonet. For one or two lenses this works fine, permanently attaching the the Minolta lens to a 4/3 adapter. For more than one or two Minolta lenses, this becomes inconvenient. With Konica AR mount, there is a metal tab which interferes with mounting onto 4/3. This is pretty easy to fix, but requires removing the tab from the original lens. It's not like I'm going to use these lenses on a Konica again, but even so I prefer not to permanently damage things if it can be avoided. In this case, mounting AR lenses directly to m4/3 allows the lenses to remain intact in their original form.

So other than those exceptions, if the lens can be mounted to 4/3 (which is generally the case with all SLR lenses) then that is my preferred first step.

11. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    "Stack" would be a better term than "pancake". "Pancake", as a verb, means to flatten as in "flatten like a pancake".

When you stack multiple adapters there can be issues:

1. The manufacturing errors add up. This is most often seen where an adapter is slightly thinner than necessary (allowing focus to slightly beyond infinity) is stacked with a second also slightly too thin adapter. A single such adapter that did the job by itself would generally have one half the error (excessive thinness) than the stacked pair. Also, any play in the mounts will add up. A stacked pair is likely to have more total play than a single adapter.

2. Depending on the intermediate mount (4/3rd in the OPs case), there may be additional restrictions that would not be present in a single adapter. The limitations in adapting certain mounts to 4/3rd that Ned mentions are present when taking the stacked pair approach but don't exist with a single adapter.

12. OCULUS

OCULUS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Albany, NY
    Ray Hull
    :confused:

13. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    I think OP meant 'stacking' adapters.

As someone put it, it should work as long as the lens ends up at it's flange focal distance to the sensor.

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    In America, they stack pancakes, then eat them all in one huge bite.

Hence the nomenclature.

Fact.

15. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    And sometimes we call them 'flapjacks' or 'griddle cakes'. :wink:

Americans would perceive 'pancaking' as 'to make flat, or squish'. While we might stack pancakes, to turn it into a verb wouldn't have us thinking about what you DO with pancakes (stack them, eat them, whatever), we would think about what they are like physically - flat, round.

16. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Don't believe you're still arguing about this.

When the word pancake is used it's usually described as "flat as a pancake."

In terms of being stacked, it refers to one on top of another.