Pancakes Only

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by SimonL, Apr 11, 2011.

1. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    OK, I have this theory about what my GF1 kit is going to expand into and where it will stop.

I have the 20mm pancake and will acquire a 12~14mm pancake of some sort after Olympus show us what they're going to offer [hopefully this year].

To complete the trio of fast primes I will be looking for something in the 40-50mm [80-100mm] range.

The 14 & 20 are both around the 25mm [1 inch] mark in terms of thickness/length i.e. 'pancakes'.

My hope is that I can stuff 2 spare lenses in [probably] 2 pockets without the need for a bag or case - i.e. travelling really light.

My question: what will be the size of the smallest length autofocus prime I can reasonably expect to hope for in the short telephoto range ? Is it going to be the size of the PL 45mm macro ?

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    I would guess so. Despite many engineers best efforts, there just is no way to really defy the laws of physics here. Bigger sensors need more light which means more optics and some distance to refract properly. Pentax has some of the best pancake lenses around and their 70mm F2.4 Limited (105mm equivalent focal length on their APS-C sensors) is only 1" thick, but it has no AF motor built-in and relies on the camera for that. To my knowledge, all the m43 cameras have on-lens AF motors (correct me if I'm wrong here!), which is always going to eat up some space, as will OIS (which is helpful at that FL)

How long a lens are you wanting?

3. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    Thanks for the reply.

Like I said, ideally I'd like to be able to take the GF1 fitted with a pancake out of it's neoprene soft case and have my other lens[es] in a pocket. If I confine myself to the 20mm and the 14mm [both an inch thick] then that's possible.

As in all things we always push for that bit extra and I'd like a short telephoto AF lens to pick out details. I know it's not going to be an inch thick but was curious as to how small it could be - and would upcoming lenses fit the bill ?

I know Olympus are working on a 12/14mm which I'll compare with the Panny 14mm and a 50mm macro which I'll compare with the PA 45mm but was unsure of the physical sizes.

I keep looking at the Hexanon 40mm pancake [+ adaptor] but really don't want to have to resort to manual focussing.