Pancake zooms: Panasonic 12-32 vs Olympus 14-42

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by marcl, Mar 8, 2014.

1. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I strongly subscribe to the adage that the best camera is the one you always carry with you. So I am looking to buy a small m4/3 kit to replace my Olympus XZ-1 and complement my E-M5 setup. I am looking at both the GM1 and E-PM2. I am not so hung up on the differences between both cameras as I am on the kit zooms, though the GM1 seems more interesting. I've done research on both lenses. I can find some reviews on both but there are no direct comparisons. Here are my thoughts so far from the research I've done:

P12-32
    + good image quality
    + wider angle at 12mm
    + stabilized
    - need to extend zoom to take picture

O14-42
    + longer telephoto at 42mm
    + ingenious lens cap (no need to remove)

Frankly, I use the longer telephoto more than the wider angle so I am more interested in the 14-42. The lens cap also sounds interesting as it makes it easier to get the camera ready to take a photo. But in terms of image quality, there are plenty of praises for the 12-32, not so much for the 14-42.

Can anyone provide any comparison between these lenses, or any input to help me decide?

Thank you in advance!

2. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think for E-PM2 or GM-1 you'd want OIS especially for occasional video. 12-32 seems more interesting choice to me. I recommend a pocket RX100 to use as a P&S, it has longer reach and higher true resolution (insanely sharp lens) than any m43 camera.

4. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Love the PL12-35. However, I have not tried the O14-40, so I cannot offer a comparative opinion.

5. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Thanks. The RX100 did cross my mind but I would like to leverage the prime lenses I already own.

6. Don't forget the 12-32 does not have a MF ring so you can't MF on the E-M5.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    is there any reason to MF this lens?

8. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Nope ;-)

9. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    As a MFT shooter I have gone trough numerous P&S gadgets and sold everyone after month or two. The IQ wasn't anything I was looking for. I haven't tried Sony RX100 II though. Would that be my good-enough biker friend? That GM-1 is absurdly small also, but the lens makes it not-SO-pocketable, although it seems to be very good lens..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    For you maybe - for others (myself included) perhaps not so definitive an answer.

11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Ricoh GR?

--Ken

12. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Thanks but I'm afraid that fixed focal length camera is not for me.

13. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Just got a nice E-mp2 with a VF-3 from a fellow on this site and have the PANNI pancake on the way. Wanted a "pocketable" camera so looking forward to how this all works out. will post some shorts when I get the lens from Henry's. Thinking about the 20 also. Had one a few years ago and sold it.

14. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    My observations with the P12-32:

- Good optical quality across the focal lengths - A bit softer on the right side than on the left. Check out test shots below.
    - Interestingly though, I can't seem to push my RAW files as much as with my P20, noise shows up earlier... must investigate further.
    - Fast and almost silent AF.
    - Bokeh is quite busy - I'm used to the blissful bokeh of the P20 + O45.
    - Takes a few outings to get used to "uncollapse" the lens before use. Now I don't really think about it anymore
    - Excellent for video, fast focus, good action on the zoom (can operate with no noise/shake)
    - Missing manual focus (I have the G3): A bummer when trying to capture night sky with little contrast to AF on. Really the only scenario where I would use MF though.
    - Lens cap - well, when shooting a series of shots, I keep the cap in my pocket... I use a UV filter, so no trouble there.
    - I think the price is about 100 $ too high (european prices). Bought mine second hand @ 350 $ though. :) 

My test shots @ wide angle

• Like Like x 1
  15. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    A word about the lens cap, it does not come with the lens and adds ~$40. And, it is a mechanical device and does not work with a filter. That said, it is cool and it works very well. If you would like, I can post a pic of the EZ lens and lens cap on a E-PM1.

• Like Like x 1
  16. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    The GM1 with 12-32 is now down to $659 on Amazon/Cameta. I think that's my best bet right now.

17. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I actually wanted to write a mini review on the 12-32 having owned one a couple of months..
    I uploaded 65 images from various scenarios in Italy but can't find a way (don't have time to delve into this) to use the photos from that album in my message.
    If anyone knows how - I'll try to do it today.

Sent from my W200 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  18. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Similar to my buying both the Samyang fisheye AND the 15mm BCL a month before the 9mm fisheye BCL was released (I wouldn't have bought the other two!), I bought the 12-32 just before the 14-42 pancake was released. In this case, however, I think I'd take the Panasonic still. Sharper, wider, ability to NOT collapse when you need a longer lens to balance in your bag, and my only lens with IS to test it against the PM2's 2-axis crappy IS.

19. yehuda, you have some spectacular shots in your gallery. Certainly shows the capability of the 12-32 to very good effect ... although, at least equally, the capability of the photographer!

Thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 2
  20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I saw that over on 43rumors. Nice deal. I also made the mistake of looking through the comments. :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.