Pancake Zoom For E-PM2

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Skab, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Skab

Skab New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2014
    I want to get either the Olympus 14-42 EZ or the Panasonic PZ 14-42 for my Olympus E-PM2. It will be used as a pocketable camera, so I don't want a larger zoom.

Is there any disadvantage to the Panasonic zoom? Will the IQ be similar beyween the 2? Are there any issues that I need to consider between the Panasonic and The Olympus on the E-PM2?

Thanks

2. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    O 14-42EZ - more slimmer, use ring to change focus and zoom
    P 14-42PZ - more chubby, got Power OIS which is better than E-PM2's IBIS especially on video., but use level to zoom and focus.

3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Skab,
    I posted this on the other forum too: they both will work fine, but for my money I'd get the new Panny 12-32mm pancake zoom. I've had all 3 of them, and it's the best optically, the smallest, and it goes to 12mm which IMO more than makes up for having less reach. The 14-42mm Panny PZ is not as small as you might think and the power-zoom function is annoying. You do have to twist the 12-32mm open every time you use it (and twist it again to collapse it), but it becomes second nature and with the auto-opening/closing lens cap that was designed for the Oly 14-42mmEZ (which fits it perfectly) it becomes super-easy to use.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.