Pancake Zoom For E-PM2

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Skab, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Skab

Skab New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2014
    I want to get either the Olympus 14-42 EZ or the Panasonic PZ 14-42 for my Olympus E-PM2. It will be used as a pocketable camera, so I don't want a larger zoom.

Is there any disadvantage to the Panasonic zoom? Will the IQ be similar beyween the 2? Are there any issues that I need to consider between the Panasonic and The Olympus on the E-PM2?

2. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    O 14-42EZ - more slimmer, use ring to change focus and zoom
    P 14-42PZ - more chubby, got Power OIS which is better than E-PM2's IBIS especially on video., but use level to zoom and focus.
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I posted this on the other forum too: they both will work fine, but for my money I'd get the new Panny 12-32mm pancake zoom. I've had all 3 of them, and it's the best optically, the smallest, and it goes to 12mm which IMO more than makes up for having less reach. The 14-42mm Panny PZ is not as small as you might think and the power-zoom function is annoying. You do have to twist the 12-32mm open every time you use it (and twist it again to collapse it), but it becomes second nature and with the auto-opening/closing lens cap that was designed for the Oly 14-42mmEZ (which fits it perfectly) it becomes super-easy to use.
    • Like Like x 1