1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pancake Trinity

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MAubrey, Oct 16, 2012.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I've been working on putting together two trinities for my E-M5 based on size. I have a 9-18mm, 25mm, and 45mm as one trinity that'll fit in a bag and then I'm also building a pancake trinity that I can distribute across a couple pockets.

Currently, its merely a binity, though...
    A160011_1500x1125_.
    Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 Color-Skopar & Panasonic 20mm f/1.7

Originally, I had intended to make the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 as the third member of this little group, but I'm wondering now if perhaps the new Olympus 15mm body cap lens might do the trick. My only concern is that I'm still lacking a indoors/lowlight wide angle prime, a role that the 12mm would fill reasonably well. IQ-wise, some images I've seen from the 15mm f/8 have looked surprisingly good and others have looked surprisingly bad...

Any opinions about what you might do if you were in my shoes?

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    The pancake trinity will not be pancake-y if you get the 12mm. Even before I read your comments, I assumed the P14 and P20 will be two of the three. So I think the P14 is the natural choice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Just my two cents : the "9-18mm, 25mm, and 45mm" has been my trinity for a while now, and I seldom find myself wanting for anything else... perfect IMHO - the 25 is on most of the time, the 9-18 doubles as UWA on the wider side and 35 equivalent on the longer side, with the 45 when I want something longer... and with the EM5, I get reasonably good shots even with the 9-18 in low light.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Thanks, Hyubie, that's where I'm leaning, too, I think.

Perhaps, I'm imagining to myself that if I got the 15mm f/8, then I could use the lack of a low light wide to justify my GAS and get the 12mm f/2 completely independent of my actually needs and intentions. Whereas simply getting the 14mm f/2.5 wouldn't give me the same excuse...

5. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The "larger" set an absolute delight.

I've found that f/4 is relatively safe for 9mm. It's just that a lot of the time indoors 9mm is simply too wide and dealing with f/5 or higher for the 12mm to 14mm can get a little frustrating. It's not camera shake. The OM-D's IBIS overcomes that issue easily. It's movement of people primarily...

6. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I have begun trimming my gear, avoiding buying unless it makes my kit leaner. Thus, I am leaning towards this setup, too. I have the 9-18mm (had it for only a few days, already love that 9mm!), the P20, and the O45. Thinking of selling the P14, but what prevents me is its tiny size and the fact that it looks like there's little demand for it. But it will probably have to go in the near future.

7. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    I've been thinking along these lines, trying to create a perfectly usable set of primes which will cover me for most situations. Got some dedicated macro/portraiture legacy OM lenses (50mm, 90mm macro, 135mm) which suit me when I'm more in control of the situation, but manual focus isn't the greatest for street photography or other situations when you need to be sure you'll get the shot first time.

The only M43 one I have to date is the Sigma 30mm 2.8 which I love, but I had been thinking that adding the 14mm Panasonic and the 45mm Olympus to this will cover me for the vast majority of street and mountain situations while being eminently carryable (insofar as carryable is a word). At the minute, I'm making do with the 30mm and the 40-150mm but I very rarely find myself reaching past around 60mm and I much prefer a prime (and I'm almost certain that a crop from the 45mm prime will still offer better IQ than full frame 60mm shot on the 40-150).

An all-pancake solution would be the ideal but the bag I use will accommodate a couple of full size (but short) lenses so isn't necessary in my case. Thought long and hard about the 15mm bodycap but I'm in the UK where the lack of regular sun doesn't encourage fixed apertures of f/8 :)

Sorry, this post doesn't address your issue at all >_<

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think the 14, the 25, and the 45 would be great. All I need to do now is buy the 25 and 45. Given that likelihood in the near further, I'll throw in the 75 as well.