1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic X lenses

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Linh, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    And it's official:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth...wo-new-x-series-compact-lumix-zooms-panasonic

$350 for the 14-42, ouch

Panasonic to offer high end X lenses for Micro Four Thirds | EOSHD.com

This can't happen fast enough. Though, I'm about to pre-order the oly 45/1.8. I hope panasonic sees there's a market to get those fast zooms out first. 12-75 sounds interesting, but seems too great a range to have a constant aperture, or exceptional image quality (along the 24-70L and 70-200L ideally).

BRING IT ON!

• Like Like x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    So, we have Lumix, Lumix X, and Lumix Leica DG? I always figured that the Leica DG's were the high-end Lumix lenses.

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    yeah, but likely panasonic doesn't want to rely on leica's approval. And to make the lenses smaller, panasonic will have to rely on software corrections, something I believe Leica is not a fan of.

It's not too bad, I'll take more high end lenses that I don't have to pay the Leica tax for =)

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I honestly hope not. Those do not sound like pro lenses. Certainly something I would want if it's compact enough, but I don't think i'll like a power zoom... I guess it depends on how smooth it is. They sound more like replacements for their consumer line up.

6. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    True, true. So, basically, to use a car analogy, the Lumix lenses are the base model BMW 3's, 5's, 7's, X3's, X6's, etc. (with the different levels corresponding to primes, zooms, tele, wide, etc.), while the X lenses are the ones with the bigger engines choices (e.g., 335 vs. 325) and/or higher luxury packages. Then, Leica DG's are the M series.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Forgot about the power zoom.

Maybe the rumors are just muddled up at present.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    12-50mm? A fast standard zoom, perhaps? The Micro Four-Thirds system really needs that. I'm happy with my Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5, but I'd like to see one designed specifically for the system even if I don't buy it myself.

The HD X designation suggests that these may be HD video lenses, though? More likely meant to complete the AF100. That should work for all of us, at any rate. ;)

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So, if the rumor is true, and I hope it is - what would you want in the "X" lineup?

Personally, I would ask that they provide more options FIRST, then worry about duplicating focal lengths/lenses that are already out there (for example, we don't need another 14 mm option), so, my list would be:

12-50 f/2.8 (or maybe f/2-3.5ish) OIS HD
    7-14 f/2 (or maybe f/2-3.5) OIS HD
    45-200 f/2.8 OIS HD
    400 f/4 OIS(? @ 800 equiv, this beast is prob going to need to be mounted anyway)

Don't spew any junk about "these lenses will be too big". These aren't for the general user - their options are already covered. The lenses don't need to be tiny - just smaller than any other mount/image circle option, which should be pretty easy. These are enthusiast/pro level lenses sold at pro level prices.

I would hope they would come in at less than the Zuiko SHG prices, it will be hard to choke down paying $3k or $4k for a lens, but if they can deliver better IQ than the current top lenses with 2 (or more) stops faster aperture, it would really change the game. All of a sudden our "ISO problem" isn't a problem ...

10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I WANT....

A holy trinity of zooms. All f2. 7-14, 12-50, and 35-100. After that you guys/gals can have what you want. :)

Gordon

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    In the order I'd want them...

Something equivalent to the 135L, so something like a 75/2 OIS...

35-100/2.8 OIS is all i want. f/2 if it doesn't command the $2500 price tag. or a 45-200/2.8-4 OIS.

12-50/2 OIS. I'd probably sell my 12/2 to fund it.

That's it for me, heh.

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    As much as I'd like these too, there was an interview with a Panny marketing exec earlier in the year where he said that much of Panny's focus will be on the entry-level part of the market, i.e., those stepping up from a point-and-shoot. Thus the rapid iteration and miniaturization of the GF line. He also stated that the GH2 was a niche product and it didn't sound like they have any plans to break into the pro market. If anything, it sounded like the GH line was a black sheep of sorts - a surprise hit in its niche - that Panasonic didn't quite know what to do with.

I'm holding onto my Pentax 16-50/F2.8 and 50-135/F2.8 until I can add fast M43 glass to a shopping cart....

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Would it be easier to make the 7-14mm an f/2 (currently an f/4), or the 90-250mm (which is so far an f/2.8)?

'cause personally I'd just love a 90-250mm f/2. My holy trinity of zooms would then be the 14-35mm, 35-100mm, and 90-250mm. :2thumbs:

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Don't know, but the aperture diameter is the same for 7mm f/2 as it is for 14mm f/4 ... personally, I would lean towards variable zooms if they did it this way rather than "choking down" to a constant aperture based on the slow end.

15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Yeah. that'd be OK too.:biggrin:

However I like my fast zooms to have a bit of overlap which is why I chose the focal lengths I did. And I'd like something wider in my standard than a 28mm (equiv). Plus how big would a 250mm lens be at f2?

But it sure is nice to dream.

Gordon

16. Susanhill36

Susanhill36 New to Mu-43

Aug 24, 2011
    I have been contacted by the forum Admin. Don't know what the problem was but for now things appear to be working for me. Thanks

17. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Interesting conversation, but the thread may need a new title. Looking at the 14-42mm collapsible power-zoom, I don't see the "X" line being as surmised.

18. lwd

lwd New to Mu-43

May 14, 2011
    The 14-42 looks awesome to me (as long as the glass is good of course).

A zoom lens THAT small could be a gamechanger.

19. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    OK, I take it back. Two fast, non-power-focus X zooms, too.