1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic X 45-175 final verdict? Just get 45-200 instead?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chad, May 8, 2012.

1. chad

chad New to Mu-43

May 8, 2012
    New York
    Chad
    Hi all,

I hate to bring up again what I noticed was a hotly debated topic a few months ago but I couldn't tell by searching the forums whether there was a definite resolution to the question of X 45-175 OIS / blurriness problems.

I'm new to micro 4/3 and was hoping to get a zoom lens before a trip this summer and was tempted by the light weight and relatively discrete size (?) of the X lens but might just get the 45-200 since it may be more of a sure thing.

Any advice from happy or disgruntled X 45-175 users (or others) would be great!

thanks,
    Chad

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Which camera body are you using?

The safe bet is the 45-200 OIS, which is relatively cheaper. The 45-175 X lens is sort of a toss up. Optically it's very sharp with excellent contrast and sharpness across the focal range. Though OIS issues is really dependent on your camera brand/body.

3. chad

chad New to Mu-43

May 8, 2012
    New York
    Chad
    Sorry, should have mentioned that: I'm using a GX1

4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I haven't kept up with the whole OIS issues, however, it would really like the 45-175 X. It's a smaller lens and has internal focusing.

One issue, as Jon mentioned, is the brand/body that you use. I *think* Oly bodies disable OIS off the bat (to be confirmed) when there is no OIS switch.

5. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If I were you, I'd order the 45-175 from somewhere with a liberal return policy so you can test it out with your GX1. It's really a nice lens when it works. The size and image quality is very good. But like I said, the 45-200 is a safe bet if you don't want to deal with any lens issues.

I'm using a 45-175 X on my E-M5 right now and it works great. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    What it saves you in size to me simply is not worth $200 in additional cost.

7. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    I'm also mulling my telephoto options as I sell off my Nikon gear. I've rented specialized Nikon glass from LensRentals in the past and plan to use them to take different options for a spin over the weekend before committing to purchases. They have a ton of micro 4/3 glass available.

—Andreas

8. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    The 45-200 is a great deal at $199. It also depends when and where one orders, the 45-175 X appears to still be $299 from kenmore. The silver version was $311 on amazon last week. I ordered the black one for $349 from amazon, price is up currently. One can set an amazon price alert from camelcamelcamel.com as someone on this forum posted a while ago.

I decided to pay $150 more for a 210g internal zooming lens over the 380g one with a longer reach that does extend on zooming, even if that's a tad sharper.

Glad to hear it works well on the E-M5. I look forward to try the combo myself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    Glad to hear this. I just purchased a used one for use on my E-M5. I thought the price differential over the 45-200 was worth it for the size, weight, non-extending zoom, and internal focusing.

I was a bit concerned about the lack of an on/off switch for the OIS. Can you please confirm you are able to use the IBIS with this lens?

Also, what are the initial tests I should perform to ensure I received a "good one"? I recall reading that the issues were related to the OIS, so maybe it doesn't matter on the E-M5.

Thank you!

10. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I am getting rid of the Oly 40-150mm lens and am thinking of going with the 45-175mm now, thanks Jonathan lol After doing a bit of research, I really like having internal zooming. Similar to the 12-50mm kit lens.

From what I've read, when you put this lens on an Oly body, the lens OIS is turned off and automatically and can't be turned on. Therefore the lens will be using the IBIS. Hope I'm correct on this, still doing my research.

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    IBIS works fine with the 45-175. It defaults off automatically. I've found no issues with the lens on the E-M5. In fact it's amazingly sharp. This lens has near prime sharpness in my opinion. Color rendition is similar to the PL25.

When this lens was first released, it was too expensive, but if you can find it under $300 it's worth the premium over the 45-200 in my opinion. Especially when tested side-by-side.

12. p.h

p.h Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    I've had the 45 - 175 for a little over a month and the more I use it the more I like it. I have no experience of the 45 - 200 to compare to and I've not experienced any OIS problems, something I tested for as soon as I got it. I bought mine here in the UK with the cashback offer so the price difference wasn't that big, around £40. IMO well worth it for the convenience of the smaller size and lighter weight, it also has the advantage of sharing the same filter size as my other lenses, 14mm & 20mm. I'm happy to wear this lens and the GX1 on a neckstrap all day, I doubt I would with a heavier lens.
    My only experience with other lenses of this focal length was way back in my film days, I don't know whether it's the OIS or the lens or just the advantage of digital, but I'm getting sharper images now than I ever did then.

13. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I just got the 45-175X today and looks to be working great on the E-M5 :D I did noticed the lens itself has something rattling which I think might be the OIS? It sounds like something's loose rattling inside but once I turn the camera on the sound is gone. Not quite sure what that is. Any idea?

14. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    I just acquired the 45-175 from a seller on the forum here. Apparently the rattle is the OIS mechanism when it is powered down. I called Panasonic and they confirmed it.

I am really happy with the daylight performance of this lens on the OM-D.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    I had the 45-200mm first, but returned it. Got the 45-175mm and felt it was a better fit for me. Never experienced any line doubling issues either. I just wanted the smaller lens....there wasn't really anything wrong with the 45-200mm.

16. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thinking about getting this lens. Just to be clear on an Oly body, do you any IS at all? I heard the OIS gets turned off, so does that mean the IBIS still works on the body? Cheers

17. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    The IBIS on the body still works at whatever setting you choose.

The OIS on the lens does have an element that is loose until the lens is powered up. It makes a slight clicking if you turn the lens end over end. This does not happen when the lens is powered on.

I also noticed a very slight clicking when shooting a little league game last night. Watching the aperture readout closely, I could correlate the clicks with fast changes in aperture (shooting in S). For example, traversing the entire zoom range cause 2 or 3 clicks. This would be bad for video, but I don't plan to use it for that.

I found myself shooting in the middle of the zoom range most of the time.

18. billgreen

billgreen Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 4, 2012
    Herradura de Rivas, Costa Rica
    Bill Green
    Just thought I'd toss my .02 in here. I am always puzzeled by some of the so-so, or even negative reviews and evaluations of the 45-200 (not in this thread). I have always found it to be a very good lens with really good IQ. And the IOS works great.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/leicamini/7035662803/" title="Fish pond resident by LeicaMini, on Flickr"> 7035662803_1f54c01235_c. "800" height="450" alt="Fish pond resident"></a>
    Frog - Panasonic 45-200mm

• Like Like x 2
  19. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    got my 45-200 today, doing some testing to see if the OIS is better than the IBIS in the EP3. so far the OIS appears to do better at the lower shutter speeds. like the results so far.

P5176004L-L.

20. billgreen

billgreen Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 4, 2012
    Herradura de Rivas, Costa Rica
    Bill Green
    Nice. Very nice.