1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic X 14-42mm blur??

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by roverT, Dec 1, 2012.

1. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Hi guys,

I can't find it anymore but when I was browsing on my phone I saw something about a problem with the 14-42mm power zoom lens. I just got it for a great deal and I wanted to know where I can go to find out the blur problem at full zoom I think? Just have to recreate it on the X lens I got now if I can. Thanks!

2. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Dpreview folks :)

Seriously, they say that between 1/80 to 1/200 at 40 - 42mm but I also did the test myself and didn't have the "blur". They said I was lucky! :)

Granted, it's not the sharpest. And when you prove you have a "good copy", they attack the sharpness. I say enjoy shooting with whatever tool you have!

3. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Can you point me to a link of a key phrase/word that I need to search for? Or what am I supposed to look for in the "blur"?

I'm assuming it's the edges? I've always assumed most lens will be soft around the sides and nice and sharp in the middle area unless you break and arm off and give it to the lens company...then it'll be sharp everywhere!

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    There's a bunch of threads on dpreview.com. Some people had doubling of images and some just significantly softer images toward 42mm mark. The consensus seems to be now that the lens is more susceptible to clunky shutters like on some of the Panasonics. It's been reported that it's doing much better on the softer shutter cameras or heavier cameras or with electronic shutter now available on G5/GH3.
    Copy I've been using with GX1 seems ok. Could it be sharper? Maybe, I don't really know or care to test. The form factor is worth it for me, though I wouldnt mind if in the future it turns out to be an even better performer on a more advanced body.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's not been my experience. All the mechanical shutter cameras I've tried that lens on (GF3, G3, E-PM1, E-M5) are susceptible - both Olympus and Panasonic.

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Really? That's too bad. I was hoping it would work perfectly on a future OMD I am planning to get :frown:
    I guess the people that posted that only used it on their OMD and didn't cross check against other models.

7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Mine works fine on my OM-D, though it seemed to have issues on the E-PM1.

8. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    My E-PM2 arrived (late), but I've had a chance to test it at the dreaded shutter speeds and 42mm, and all seems well. No blur or double image, a quite decent kit lens performance that I will be able to live with on the E-PM2, a combination that is now my "point and shoot" camera for taking everywhere.

I'll post some images when I can take some in decent light. But the fundamental question I had -- would the shutter induced blur afflict this combination -- has been answered to my satisfaction and relief. At least my copy of the 14-42 PZ works without shutter blurring problems on both my E-M5 and E-PM2.

Hooray!

9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^
    I'm glad the lens is working well for you, Larry! I've thought about picking one up for my EPM2 but afraid to risk a used one and not willing to pay the cost for new. :frown:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

10. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
  11. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Mine seems to work fine on my G5, I haven't had any problems. At least as well as the kit lens, and I much prefer the compact form factor when I want to travel light.

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    IIRC, the G5 has an electronic shutter as well as mechanical. Assuming I didn't dream this :wink: are you saying you've had no problems with the mechanical shutter? As I understand it, the mechanical shutter is the source of the problem.

13. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I understand. I bought mine from a member of the forum who sent me numerous photo examples he'd taken with his E-PM2 at the offending shutter speeds and at 42mm. It was a bit soft (SOOC jpegs), but nothing I haven't seen in a kit lens at the long end before, and something I could live with for the size. When I want the ultimate I put a prime on the E-M5; the E-PM2 is my compact.

There's a fun shot I took this morning. I'm having a terrible time getting the color just right, but it's the asphalt, which sometimes reflects weird colors. once you've got everything else where you want it. Another reason I enjoyed living up a dirt road about a decade ago.

14. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Mine was bought as part of a kit with the gx1.

I haven't been able to see this problem with the susceptible shutter speeds on both my gx1 and em5.

15. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Yes, I'm quite pleased with the lens, which I'd been considering for some time. Except at the long end it is quite sharp, and I don't fine it objectionably soft for a kit lens at any focal length. It's excellent at 14mm to 25mm and maintains very good quality overall. These are initial impresssions not resulting from any series of tests or comparisons, but I've paid attention to my results. I don't know if Panasonic has definitively addressed the issue or just quietly applied a patch to later examples so they would not have to do a recall à la Fuji and the X10 orbs issue, but given the price of the lens I do hope they confronted it head on.

Product cycles are so short, I suspect many things are rushed to market and patched up afterwards -- if they can be. And too often the attitude toward early adopters who get stuck with problems is, "tough luck", and public relations ploys to appear to be addressing the problem while not fundamentally getting at it. So I applaud Fujio for their straight-forward response to some of the issues that have arisen with the X cameras.

I got my lens for $200, practically brand new, and 200-250 seems right for it. $350 is, in my opinion, excessive.

16. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Lawrence, I'm glad you enjoy your lens. It's much underrated but I find it to be an excellent performer.
    I read your remark on getting asphalt colors right... I used to be a sooc jpeg after fine tuning settings in camera. Not anymore.
    I have bought lightroom and color profiles from colorfidelity.com for my em5 and gx1 and have meticulously setup definitions for all iso settings in both cameras by shooting a controlled complex still scene.
    My workflow is superfast, zero post processing and perfect colors.
    I don't know how you shoot but you should really give the raw path a chance.
    Once you get the hang of it, it saves a lot of time, results are better and more consistent.
    By the way - using the above mentioned profiles I finally almost match the colors from both my cameras. Shooting jpeg it was near impossible.
    And one final remark - shooting sooc jpeg sometimes leaves you with soft corners and other flaws which don't appear in raw. This is extremely apparent with the olympus xz-1 I have and also appears with the 14-42pz used with the gx1. Raw makes yor end result much better.
    Dang - I should get paid for all I wrote here :)