1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic X 12-35mm and 35-100mm fast zooms

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by phrenic, Aug 26, 2011.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
  2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I hope they are constant aperture f/2.8 lenses rather than variable aperture lenses, but they look a little too small to be f/2.8 constant aperture lenses.

It would also be nice if Panasonic can keep the prices down to $999 (or less) for each lens.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 35-100 is exactly what I've been wanting! Can't wait!

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    maybe it's just me,but does anybody else find those "x"'s gaudy looking? (like their trying to hard to find a cool designation?)

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah it is a little gaudy and it does clash with Olympus' modern retro sensibility. :tongue:

6. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Actually, when I first saw the x logo I thought it looked like the Sony alpha logo.

7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've been waiting for some time now for something to replace the mediocre 45-200mm. Maybe both the 45-175mm and 35-100mm are candidates for that, a lightweight zoom with a large zoom ratio and a shorter and brighter one. I'll start saving up, have to stop buying Minolta legacy glass like crazy :biggrin:.

8. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    The 35-100mm is the perfect focal length for me, and if it's a constant f/2.0 or f/2.8 I'd be all over that.

If the 12-35mm is the right price, I'd likely pick that up too.

9. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I don't like the X.

I do like these two lenses though. I seriously doubt they will be as sharp, as fast or as expensive as Olys 4/3rds versions though.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I would bet they will be as sharp, or sharper, but they will do it through software correction.

REALLLLY curious what the aperture will be, especially the 12-35. f/2 would be sweeeet, even if it had to be f/2-f/3.5 or so

11. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Hmmm, so where would that leave Olympus owners who wanted them? I'd bet there's a hell of a lot of software correction goes on in Panasonic bodies for these....

12. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I wanted a 75/2.0, but a 35-100/2.x is even better.

13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    It's nothing a little bit of black tape wouldn't fix...

Also, I wonder if this foretells of a more pro-oriented body - perhaps a bit bigger to balance the bigger lenses? Could the GH3 be pumped up a little and further distanced from the G3???

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Calling Olympus wondering WTH they don't incorporate all the corrections allowed by the standard?

Oly does perform distortion correction, just not CA correction

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    When it comes to designing smaller, sharp lenses with software correction, the main correction needed is for barrel distortion. Olympus bodies correct Pana lens distortion just as well as Pana bodies do. The part that Olympus bodies don't implement is correction of color fringing, which is less of an issue for most lenses and shots.

• Like Like x 1
  16. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I really wish they would correct for CA. I can never manually do it as well as panny does it automatically. At least in the jpegs, or at least add the information to the ORF so that Lightroom can apply a preset for CA correction automatically.

17. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Ah, OK, thanks - I just (rather stupidly) assumed that the different manufacturers/firmware wouldn't compensate for each others lenses.....

18. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Have you seen the Oly lenses? they are enormous to be able to do constant f2. m4/3rds and zoom by wire might help panny out a bit, but the laws of physics have to kick in at some point.

19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't care. I want bright aperture, and I'm willing to pay both size and $ for it. I will be replacing a Leica 14-50 f/2.8-3.5, so as long as it's smaller and AFs better than that, it's all good.

If even remotely properly designed, this lens would still be smaller than ANY other competitive option. I would also argue that wider apertures take better advantage of software correction and we will see, proportionally, a larger size difference in the faster lenses than we have seen in the slower lenses compared to their 43 counterparts.

20. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't think LR correct CA in Panasonic's RW2 files automatically. Does it? How about lens profiles?
    For Olympus, I use Olympus Viewer to open ORF files, you can then apply automatic lens distortion correction using lens information (off by default) and correct CA. But I convert it to tiff and do any other correction in LR cause it's much faster and way better for NR especially. But I do beleive that Oly Viewer is superior for colors and anything to do with native lenses when it comes to ORF files. DPReview specifically mentioned that Oly Viewer converter achieves superior resolution for ORF files compared to LR.