Panasonic Working on New u43 Sensor With Advanced AF

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran
Time-of-Flight (ToF) has extremely limited range. The best I've seen is Microsoft's upcoming Kinect Azure DK with about 8m range. But that is indoors. Outdoors it is way less than that.

I can't imagine ToF become the general solution for an AF system, because you often need to focus on something that is farther away than 8 meters.

Phone technology uses ToF for things like face unlock (iPhone) -- the range is limited to 1 meter and less in that application, and that's why it works beautifully.

Very skeptical on this one.

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Panasonic's big advantage is their part ownership of TowerJazz. Who knows what the market is for such a sensor and what the scale possibilities are.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, depends. I think it's the best CDAF, but even at its very best, that technology has its limitations.
I'll preface this by saying I don't do bird in flight photography, but personally, I think DFD is spectacular, every bit as good as any phase detect cameras I've used. I haven't shot a D500 or Sony A9, so can't comment there. Easily equal or better than anything up to a Canon 5D4.
If TOF beats that, (D500 etc) it will be a game changer for sure

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
Maybe it can be used specifically for closer applications, such as face/eye tracking, and default back to cdaf when the range is exceeded. That would be interesting.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I'll preface this by saying I don't do bird in flight photography, but personally, I think DFD is spectacular, every bit as good as any phase detect cameras I've used. I haven't shot a D500 or Sony A9, so can't comment there. Easily equal or better than anything up to a Canon 5D4.
If TOF beats that, (D500 etc) it will be a game changer for sure
I agree with you, I think the biggest limitation to CDAF is the focus rocking that is visible in video. For all my applications (all stills), including fast moving moments on the street, DfD has been perfectly capable.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
This really doesn't seem feasible at all. I think the "FT5" is completely and utterly misunderstanding the source.

ToF sensors are not at all suited for what we consider to be imaging. It is functionally a rangefinding sensor that builds a 3D depth map. They are extraordinarily low resolution - an extremely pixel dense ToF sensor today might have 640x480 resolution (0.3 MP). The other big problem is that ToF sensors are "actively scanning" that is, they emit light pulses and then detect how long it takes for them to be returned to the sensor. This means that they don't work very well in very bright conditions, can receive interference from outside sources, and generally have a short range.

It seems like the best way to implement a ToF sensor onto an ILC camera would be to use a...DSLR! That way you could divert the light Through-The-Lens to the sensor and get accurate rangefinding regardless of the lens you were using.

With a mirrorless camera, the only practical implementation I could see would be to have a secondary ToF sensor mounted on top of the camera. And you just need to make sure not to obscure it with your hand, not to mount too large a lens in front of it, and hope that 250,000 total pixels is enough resolution to accurately focus when you crop from whatever medium-wide lens is used for the ToF camera. Unless you want to have an entirely separate zoom lens assembly on the ToF sensor that extends to match your mounted lens focal length. And then there's the whole issue of parallax and correction.

Honestly, it sounds like a total technical nightmare.

I'll be happy to see it if it happens, but from my understanding of the subject I would give this rumour an FT1 at best. If there are people with more expertise on the subject on the forum, it would nice to be proven wrong, since "perfect" AF would be a good dream.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom