Panasonic Wish List.....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Tom Swaman, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

We all know about the missing link and some of us about "The Missing Linc', but I am looking for the missing lens, a Panasonic m43 with Leica optical quality having a focal length between about 50mm to about 60mm and an aperture of f2 or up to a f/2.8 to support design necessities. Yes, the lens ought to have the latest in O.I.S. or equal with the focusing speed of the now proven 14-140mm f/4 to 5.8. Preferably the lens will have a short minimum focus distance and solid construction.

Anyone know when my dreams might come true?

Regards,
    Tom

2. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Panasonic 45 2.8 is pretty close to what you want.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Staff Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree, the PL45 is awfully close to your stated specification! It's also one of my favorite lenses.

The missing link for me is a lens of similar focal length but faster than f/2. Don't care if it comes from Pana or Olympus, nor whether it is stabilized or not, so long as it performs well and isn't large!

4. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

The nikon 50mm 1.8 for about $100 might fit your bill. No OIS but is capable of some close focus, good bokeh, low-light capable, very sharp on :43: and cheap to boot.

It focuses down to 0.45 meters or 1.5 feet.

It's 2.6" (65mm) around by 1.7" (43mm) long.

and only weighs 5 oz. or 155g.

of course there is no auto-focus with an adapted lens but if you can live without that it is a very capable lens on the :43: system....

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks all. I agree with what you three wrote. I love this lens and I use this regularly. I do wish it was a hair longer focal length and one to one and a half stops brighter. Obviously extra weight comes with the dream, but I would give up the macro feature and accept some weight for the moderate tele.

Regards,
    Tom

6. sylvesterii

sylvesterii Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    I'd love a 100mm f/2.8. Optical stablization not required. Macro function a plus.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    a cheap ultrawide. I wouldn't use it a ton (that's why I'd want it ultra-cheap) and am willing to accept lower quality. How about a 6mm?

8. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Hey Luke,

I hear you can get a pretty wide-eyed image cheap shooting through the end of a beer bottle.

Regards,
    Tom

• Like Like x 2
  9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think you drink the beers and shoot through the lens, but maybe I've been doing it wrong.:rofl:

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    There's the rumored Olympus 50mm/1.8 coming down the pike. Maybe. I guess. No IS on Panasonic bodies :(